Jumping the Subte

billgbg

Registered
I didn't realize that you can just walk thru the gate at most Subtes, and no one will try stopping you. That means you can ride for free in BA.

Back in Los Angeles, you will get fined $250.00 if you're caught, which goes higher if you ignore it. Ultimately, being Americans, I believe you will be executed after being tortured, but that is why I am not there anymore.

Anyway, I have been riding for free for many months now. Of course nobody reading this would ever think about doing that since most Expats have more money than they need, and everything is so wonderful financially for everyone over here.

Most of us don't do it b/c those fares go towards the making that subte work. And maintenance. And salaries.

If everyone did it, how long do you think that subte would work?

Not sure if you're looking for congrats for cheating the system but really, I think it kind of sucks.

I'm a local: never did that and will never do.
Service is horrible, trains are bad but I don't feel I'm entitled to do that.

billgbg said:
I didn't realize that you can just walk thru the gate at most Subtes, and no one will try stopping you. That means you can ride for free in BA.

Back in Los Angeles, you will get fined $250.00 if you're caught, which goes higher if you ignore it. Ultimately, being Americans, I believe you will be executed after being tortured, but that is why I am not there anymore.

Anyway, I have been riding for free for many months now. Of course nobody reading this would ever think about doing that since most Expats have more money than they need, and everything is so wonderful financially for everyone over here.

I've only jumped the subte 2x, once was last week when the stations were flooded and the machines didn't work and the other time i was with a friend who had her kid in a stroller.

in L.A. there aren't any turnstyles. *if* you buy a ticket, thats it, you keep walking. whenever i rode it (about 3 times total, everyone drives in l.a.) i swear i was the only person buying a ticket.

besides, if you don't have the 1.10 peso to ride, maybe you should put down the paco!

billgbg said:
Anyway, I have been riding for free for many months now.
If it was a one or two time affair, I would be completely fine with it. But what you are doing is still illegal and just like in L.A. if get caught (while a whole lot more unlikely here) you would probably have to pay a fine that would be worth more than all of those free rides combined.

If you get caught it will be one of two situations:

1) Plead the dumb foreigner case, they'll be like "fine, fine just pay next time" (odds of working for a woman = 98%, for a man, probably only about 20%!)

2) Please the dumb foreigner case, they'll realise, "oh look a dumb foreigner, now we can get money out of him", 500 pesos on the spot now or we're taking you down to the comisaria where you can sit through a bunch of paperwork and bs and eventually pay the 500 pesos to a few guys there just to get out of the situation.

It's sad that you feel a thrill getting out of paying 30 US cents when you board the subte. Saving yourself what, 3 dollars a week? Maybe 5?

The subte (and collectivos) is heavily subsidized and meant to be affordable for as many people as possible. You've got to be in pretty dire conditions if you've come down here as a foreigner and find yourself not able to afford 30 cents a ride. Pitiful really. I hope you've got yourself a return ticket to your country already, otherwise you had better start tossing each peso you don't pay on the subte into a jar to save up for a ticket out of here.

syngirl said:
The subte (and collectivos) is heavily subsidized and meant to be affordable for as many people as possible. You've got to be in pretty dire conditions if you've come down here as a foreigner and find yourself not able to afford 30 cents a ride. Pitiful really. I hope you've got yourself a return ticket to your country already, otherwise you had better start tossing each peso you don't pay on the subte into a jar to save up for a ticket out of here.

I think "cheap" is the word you are looking for.

Bill, if you cant afford to pay your bills here, you might want to think about other destinations. Ever thought about Bolivia?

In other words, why should the argentine tax payer support your lack of education while you come from a country with more oportunities? I m puzzled...

Back