Just a reassurance for Visa Runners to Colonia

esllou said:
there have been at least three "crackdowns" in the last 2-3 years and, as far as I know, not even one verifiable story of someone having been turned back at colonia

Here's my story:

In March of 2004, upon returning from Colonia and after coming into Argentina for probably the sixth time (not including the 2 years I was here illegally), I was given 30 days (as opposed to 90) to "get my papers in order". I had been warned at least three times prior that I wouldn't be able to stay indefinitely on a tourst visa.

A month later I got married to my then girlfriend and current wife.
The end.

Just a heads up, the crackdown is not an erroneous scaretactic and is actually occurring in some places.

My experience is that i've been here for a year and have come and go without any issues until last week. I tried to cross the border at Esquel into Chile and when I came back across the guy there only approved me for 15 days. I think I had about 5/6 stamps coming and going from the US/Brazil/Uruguay so he looked at it and said no way. I even tried to go back over there when the same guys weren't on shift and they said no also.

I'm currently seeking residency here under the rentista visa, but have just started the process and didn't have the necessary paperwork to prove that I had done so. As a result, I got 15 days. Well, when I told my attorney about this, he said that I needed to cross the border somewhere else and see what happens. Today I flew to Montevideo, came back, and the guy didn't hesitate to stamp my passport for 90 more days.

Argentina is not black and white and is extremely arbitrary when it comes to dealings such as these. All business matters are the same way. I think crossing at Colonia or any Uruguayan borderpoint you're good to go. DON'T TRY IT AT CHILE!!! and if you do, tell Felipe I said Hi and thanks for making me go to Montevideo to get my 90 day stamp. LOL

I think there are lots of reasons that people continue to cross the border, though it's become increasingly dangerous for those with only casual conviction to stay.

Personally I crossed the border to keep my visa "clean" because there was the possibility that my partner and I would be starting a business and looking for business licenses granted by the authorities here. Based on my research we learned that these boards could deny requests for a business license depending on which way the wind was blowing, and that if you were operating against the law (ie willfully overstaying the visa) that could be a powerful incentive for them to deny. In the meantime we came to our senses and incorporated in the US instead, as doing business founding an Argentine company is too much of a clusterf*** (kudos to those of you who have braved those waters).

Long story short we were able to qualify as rentista based on our stateside business, and can thankfully re-assess renewal on a yearly basis.

Firstly thanks to Liam for the report and greetings from the Gerli-locality in Avellaneda. To me it seems that there really are not many expats here :)

@gsi: What you describe is similar to my experience. At the land-based borders, they are more strict than when entering by plane or boat. When I entered from Chile (down south, in Santa Cruz) it was a very quiet border crossing and they checked everything in detail. Everything went as planned though, since I was within my first 90 days and the extra 90-day stamp was therefore self-evident. God beware what would have happened if not.

I have been going to Colonia, Uruguay every 90 days for 11-1/2 years with only a few extensions at migraciones. I have no intention of applying for temporary residency and then have to renew annually. Migraciones has a complete record in their data base of my entries and departures. I've never had a complaint from them about being a tourist all these years. I will continue to do the "visa run" to Colonia -- next trip by Oct 3.

I was getting a bit more heat than usual when I left EZE on Sunday night. They girl was really flipping through my passport staring at my large accumulation of stamps. She hassled me about which airline I came in on my last time into the country and I told her that my last time was via a car from Uruguay. (Exit & Re-entry stamp were from the same day.)

She has flipped passed that stamp originally and was looking for my stamp. She asked me when I came in last and I told her the end of May. I asked her if she wanted me to show her the stamp and she said "No, it's ok. I've got it." (or something like that) and I kind of mentioned that actually, she doesn't really have it because she passed the stamp and I could show it to her. She wanted some kind of airline form or something from when I entered.

Then she mentioned that I was going to come back to Argentina and she asked me "Why?" I told her that I was/am taking a photography course right now. (The truth, not a lie.) She finally moved onto the "Who packed your bags? Where?..." and I told her that I did at the apartment that I'm staying in near my photography class.

Definitely NOT the smooth exit that I have always experienced before. The sphincters are tightening at EZE.

gsi16386 said:
Just a heads up, the crackdown is not an erroneous scaretactic and is actually occurring in some places.

My experience is that i've been here for a year and have come and go without any issues until last week. I tried to cross the border at Esquel into Chile and when I came back across the guy there only approved me for 15 days. I think I had about 5/6 stamps coming and going from the US/Brazil/Uruguay so he looked at it and said no way. I even tried to go back over there when the same guys weren't on shift and they said no also.

I'm currently seeking residency here under the rentista visa, but have just started the process and didn't have the necessary paperwork to prove that I had done so. As a result, I got 15 days. Well, when I told my attorney about this, he said that I needed to cross the border somewhere else and see what happens. Today I flew to Montevideo, came back, and the guy didn't hesitate to stamp my passport for 90 more days.

Argentina is not black and white and is extremely arbitrary when it comes to dealings such as these. All business matters are the same way. I think crossing at Colonia or any Uruguayan borderpoint you're good to go. DON'T TRY IT AT CHILE!!! and if you do, tell Felipe I said Hi and thanks for making me go to Montevideo to get my 90 day stamp. LOL

I have explained in advance that this was going to happens.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10765-new-rentista-visa-requirements-6.html
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10781-changes-permatourists.html

The decrete 616-2010 changed the argentinian migration policy. Before that was focus on the 5.000.000 ilegal immigrants from border countries. Now that about 75% of them are legals they are focus on you guys.
So, the trick about going to Colonia is over.
I received a Call today of a member of this forum who had the same problem than you but coming from Colonia on Monday. They gave her tome until Friday to leave the country, this is illegal and can be solved but at Court, don´t waste time and money at the Migration Office.

My advice: DO NOT GO TO COLONIA ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To apply for a citizenship usually is the best idea. I have posted the requisites and this is a free procedure.
If you have no papers and only your passport with a lot of stamps, it can be done too but you have to hire a lawyer. I offer my services.
If you are illegal this is not an issue either, we have the most open immigration policy at the Constitutional Law. Just staying (being an ihnabitant) and becoming a citizen are rights in this country no matter what the migration office believes, judges are there to protects your rights, in this country you have rights just for being an inhabitant.
Regards

jantango said:
I have been going to Colonia, Uruguay every 90 days for 11-1/2 years.

WOW 11+ years that has to be some kind of record.. let us know what happens.

Questions to all : as far as now I ve noted one Canadian and one American having problems but I dont know the nationality of others.
Liam from the EU didnt have any problem.

So my question is : have people from the EU been experiencing problems ?

Back