Just a reassurance for Visa Runners to Colonia

SaraSara said:
Ezeiza immigration people are pretty relaxed, and the same goes for Colonia.

Now, Colon/Paysandu, and Fray Bentos are a different story. There the agents go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and pester me with a thousand questions. Small towns seem to get assigned all the ill-natured nitpickers.

Last week there was a case where they gave a Canadian girl a 5 days visa. She was comming back from Colonia. I insist, the rules changed.

If you have been here 2 years no matter you legal status you have the right to be permanent resident or citizen. If you were less you have the right to be inhabitant and nobody can kick you out. Going to the border is the only way they have to find you, it is so easy to avoid it.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
Last week there was a case where they gave a Canadian girl a 5 days visa. She was comming back from Colonia. I insist, the rules changed.

If you have been here 2 years no matter you legal status you have the right to be permanent resident or citizen. If you were less you have the right to be inhabitant and nobody can kick you out. Going to the border is the only way they have to find you, it is so easy to avoid it.
Regards

In October we will be here 2 years. But I was told that the next renewal will be again be for temporary residency and not permanent. Is that not correct? When we go to renew our residency should we ask for permanent residency? I'm confused about this.

Bajo_cero2 said:

If you are referring to rockinja, she was given her "ultima prorroga" in May (before the rules changed) and had 90 days to "leave" the country. Not knowing what "ulitma prorroga" meant, she went to Colonia to get another 90 days. They did not suddenly give her five days without warning.

You can read more about it here: 90 day visa

Bajo_cero2 said:
If you have been here 2 years no matter you legal status you have the right to be permanent resident or citizen.

I have never heard of anyone who has been here for two years being granted permanent residency. Isn't that the prorogative of migraciones? I don't think they can or will grant it on that basis. Citizenship, as you have previously posted is a judicial matter and has different requirements.

mini said:
In October we will be here 2 years. But I was told that the next renewal will be again be for temporary residency and not permanent. Is that not correct? When we go to renew our residency should we ask for permanent residency? I'm confused about this.

I was granted permanent residency on the third renewal of my visa rentista (the start of my fourth year).

I know one expat who expects to get his permanent residency at the second renewal of his work visa.

Either way, when you go to renew just ask for the cambio de categoria to permanent. If you are eligible and don't ask, you probably won't get it!

mini said:
What kind of temporary visa do you currently have? If it is a rentista visa, then on the third renewal you can request permanent status. I did this successfully.

Bajo_cero2 said:
I suggest you don´t go. In a few month you can apply for citizenship or permanent residence. s

Bajo_Cero -- do you know of any negative implications of getting Argentine citizenship over permanent residence? (apart from voting, which I don't feel is negative, though may be a pain in the butt if you're not inside the country at the time of an election)

Also I'm not clear if like in Canada now, Argentine PR requires a stay of a certain amount of days in certain amount of years in order to retain it (Canada only implemented the required days of in-country residency rule a few years ago, before that you could get your residency, leave the country for 25 years, but still be considered a PR), or if it's truly permanent.

syngirl said:
Also I'm not clear if like in Canada now, Argentine PR requires a stay of a certain amount of days in certain amount of years in order to retain it (Canada only implemented the required days of in-country residency rule a few years ago, before that you could get your residency, leave the country for 25 years, but still be considered a PR), or if it's truly permanent.

Argentine permanent residency requires physical presence of one day every two years.

steveinbsas said:
Argentine permanent residency requires physical presence of one day every two years.

LOL -- Canada is 2 years out of every 5 or you lose it... which is why we were considering for me to try and go for Argentine citizenship in the event that we consider moving away... but I think even if we left we can surely get back here for 1 day every 2 years... if we don't the in-laws would probably kill us anywya.

syngirl said:
Bajo_Cero -- do you know of any negative implications of getting Argentine citizenship over permanent residence? (apart from voting, which I don't feel is negative, though may be a pain in the butt if you're not inside the country at the time of an election)

No at all. You can lose permanent residence but you cannot lose citizenship. If there is a war between your homeland and Argentina, if you are a resident you lose all your assets and you go to a concentration camp. If you are a citizen you are Argentinian for Argentina and you are a national for your country. Neither Argentina neither your country recognizes the second citizenship in its territory. This is specially true with British. I don´t know if Britain accepts to have double citizenship with Argentina. During WWII Argentina declared war to Germany when the war was almost won, Merck Industries was expropiated.

If you condemned in criminal case,
1) Over 3 years you go to jail, at 50% of you condemn there are 2 possible scenarios: a) You are a citizen, so you have the right to recover partially liberty if you had good behavior. (You can be free during the day and you go to sleep to the jail). At 66% or your condemn you might be free full time. b) If you are a resident, at 50% you can chose to be deported or you are deported. But you lose your residence status.
2) Less than 3 years you might not go to jail. Having permanent residence you loose it. Being Argentinian you go home.

syngirl said:

You don´t lose citizenship. My father was born in Chile. He became Argentinian but he was living in Sweden the last 20 years. Now he is Swedish too.
With residence you must be here once every two years if I am not wrong.

Regards

syngirl said:
.... but I think even if we left we can surely get back here for 1 day every 2 years... if we don't the in-laws would probably kill us anywya.
It is one day every two years right NOW. That doesn't mean it will always be the case..laws change. Citizenship is the best solution. If you are Canadian, then there is no worries about dual citizenship as Canadian law specifically permits dual citizenship.

Back