Just a reassurance for Visa Runners to Colonia

milly said:
For those of you who travel back to your countries of origin from time to time, why not get a new passport while you're there? Sure, you got to pay for it, but you'd have nice clean stamp-free pages to come back with.

You are in the computer. Staying illegal and travelling to Uruguay isn´t cheap, you can use your money in a smarter way.

milly said:
Bajo_cero, you recommend just staying illegal rather than doing border runs.

Right! I adviced that because since new decreto 616/2010 both situations are equally illegal, look:

[FONT=&quot]ARTICULO 61.- Cuando se verifique que un extranjero hubiere desnaturalizado los motivos que autorizaron su ingreso al territorio argentino (perma-tourist) o permaneciera en éste vencido el plazo de permanencia acordado[/FONT]

milly said:
What would happen if I got into an accident, or was robbed and had to call the police?

Well, you just call them.
This is a civilized country, nobody can arrest you because you are irregular. The worst possible scenario is that they are going to do this:

acta.jpg

[FONT=&quot]This is a notification[/FONT], like an ultimatum for regulize your legal status. You have 30 days to do it. Then they start the deportation procedure. When DGM declares you illegal, they send your file to a criminal judge and he sends police to your place to arrest you. They take you to the judge and he decides if you have or not the right to stay here. If you don´t have a good lawyer you will be deported in 24 hours.

But, if you go to the border, then they can just deny your entry. That´s why I suggest to do not take this unnecesary risk.

[FONT=&quot]TITULO III - DEL INGRESO Y EGRESO DE PERSONAS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CAPITULO I - DEL INGRESO Y EGRESO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ARTICULO 34.- A efectos de controlar el ingreso y egreso de personas del territorio argentino la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES tendrá las siguientes atribuciones:

g) Otorgar la admisión al país, si correspondiere, dentro de las categorías migratorias establecidas o, en caso contrario, rechazar el ingreso del extranjero.[/FONT]

milly said:
I also have a question regarding my particular situation, if you can advise. I did border runs for a year in 2004 before taking advantage of the amnesty to get my temporary 2-year residence. Then I left and my papers expired. I don't suppose that migraciones will do anything to renew my expired papers but if it only takes 2 years to get residency or citizenship, can my old residency be taken into consideration at some time in the future to get new papers?

It is useless for a new legal residency.
Regarding citizenship, you can use you simple residence (not legal residence). It means that they count the 2 years since you arrived to the country no matter your legal status. It means you can apply for citizenship today.

Regards

milly said:
What would happen if I got into an accident, or was robbed and had to call the police?

In this country a foreigner has the same rights than a citizen, the only difference is regarding to political rights like to vote.

So, you can sue at Court no question ask, take a look:

carta1.jpg

This is a labor case of an irregular dominican citizen.

denuncia.jpg

His former boss threatened him trying to stop the labor case, so we started a criminally prosecution against him.
Regards

Johnny said:
I have thought about "losing" my passport and then applying for another at the embassy. Not only would I have a clean passport, but more to the point, a passport without the damaging "ultima proroga's". That designation seems to be the kiss of almost death, though I have been in and out of Argentina on multiple occasions since receiving the "last renewal". Something to obviously think about for someone in my situation, though "losing" my passport doesn't much appeal to me. I'll probably continue to roll the dice until the situation becomes untenable and then move on to a different pasture, greener or not.

Until 9.9.2010 there were no consequenses for ultima prorroga because there was no deportation law. Now it is different. Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
Until 9.9.2010 there were no consequenses for ultima prorroga because there was no deportation law. Now it is different. Regards

Do you know if there have been any deportations of North Americans, Europeans, or Australians, etc, by migraciones since 9.9.2010 (or if there are any in progress)?

steveinbsas said:
Do you know if there have been any deportations of North Americans, Europeans, or Australians, etc, by migraciones since 9.9.2010 (or if there are any in progress)?

I know that there are cases about Chineses and Dominicans. They have issues because they tried to get residency, when the residency is denied the deportation procedure beggins.

If you stay under the radar there aren´t issues, but crossing the border is not exactly to stay under the radar.

So, the answer is no. The immigration policy changed only a few months ago, it is too soon to know it. But remember they can process 1.8 million cases per year. Regards

Bajo_cero (or others) please advise!
I've been here less than a year and I've "renewed" once by going to Colonia (no problems, BTW, with my US Passport). I'm approaching the 90 day mark for that trip (on March 10) and I was contemplating going to Uruguay to see Carnival. Your advice seems clear: DON'T DO IT! Overstay, and pay the fine when I leave (going back to the US on March 24).

My question is: does overstaying like this jeopardize my ability to return to BsAs in the future? Or to become a resident later? If I leave and pay the overstay fine when I go back to the states, when is the earliest I can return to BsAs?

No consequenses. If you are leaving soon you can go to Uruguay too. That´s up to you because an ultima prorroga means nothing in your case. Regards

pd: take a xerox of the ticket to the US with you

Just wanted to briefly share my experience, as another data point: On Friday July 15th I went to Colonia and back. I have been doing 90 day runs since March of 2010. The immigration officer flipped through my passport and asked me if I had "residencia". I said no, that I had stayed longer in Argentina than originally intended, but that I was planning on continuing my travels to other countries in the future (which is the truth). He then stamped my passport.

Hi All! ;)

I'm reading the topic but it's rather long and still haven't found the answer, so prefer to ask the question:

I'm going to make a visa-run (as I'm planning to go out of the country and come back several times at least, and I'm gonna do this by sailboats, so I want to make sure there won't be any problems with that; also I have to go to Prefectura Naval to get my skipper license (as my exam was excellent! :)), and I'm a little worried if they wouldn't like very much my quite illegal status, so I just can't enjoy staying illegal anymore, as advises Sr. Bajo Cero.

I've entered the country on April 6, 2011, got what I could (90 days on the entry and 90 days in Migraciones, but it has no words like "ultima prorroga", anyway Russians can't stay in Argentina more than 180 days a year, crap)

I'd go to Colonia by Seacat, hope they will let me back in (the same day) because I've just started the next step of my navigation course, need to finish it (at least!!) - I know it means nothing to them but for me it's important. How to pay those 300 pesos for having overstayed the tourist visa? Do I have to go to some special place and pay them before I leave, or I just buy the tickets to Seacat, go there and they will charge me directly before the departure?

I flew back to Europe without a stamp the ingreso(just walked through the door at Aeroparque) and 2 times(airplane and migranciones) checked for my stamp couldnt find it and Í got waived through and a nex stamp.

No need to be bothered it seems :)

Back