Just arrived - questions on electronics, accommodation

booms

Registered
Hi there, just arrived in BA, staying in Palermo Hollywood in an Airbnb until I settle in.

1) I'm looking for a really basic USB plug. Something like this:
So something that plugs into Type I sockets and that I can attach my USB cable to. If I was at home it'd be easy to no idea where to get it here. Cheap and cheerful is fine, although if you know somewhere I can get higher powered chargers e.g. 50W that'd be useful to.

2) How on earth do I use public transport if I can't get a SUBE card?

3) I'm looking for a short stay website for accommodation, probably for about two months. Any recommendations?

4) I need a dirt cheap wallet - is there a good place to pick those up? Palermo Hollywood is a bit fancy.

5) How about sports clothes? Something like Decathlon?

So something that plugs into Type I sockets and that I can attach my USB cable to. If I was at home it'd be easy to no idea where to get it here. Cheap and cheerful is fine, although if you know somewhere I can get higher powered chargers e.g. 50W that'd be useful to.

I think it would be easier to buy two things separately:
1. A tablet charger (any cell phone store should have one)
2. Arg-to-UK plug adapter (Search for "adaptador viajero ingles")

I missed 50W requirement. Try to search "cargador usb 50W" "cargador USB 65W" on mercadolibre. What is it that you are charging?

Sometimes I see SUBE cards for sale sign in kioskos.

Many places that sell state lottery tickets sell SUBE cards as well (I am not kidding).
Search for "quiniela" in google maps to find one nearby.

Last edited:
Mercado libre would be the best place. If you don't have dni you probably would need to contact the seller and make arrangements to pay in person.

4) I need a dirt cheap wallet - is there a good place to pick those up? Palermo Hollywood is a bit fancy.

Go to ONCE neighbourhood. Bus #68 from Sta Fe Ave will take you there.

Hi there, just arrived in BA, staying in Palermo Hollywood in an Airbnb until I settle in.

3) I'm looking for a short stay website for accommodation, probably for about two months. Any recommendations?

1) Go to Galería Jardín on Florida Street between Lavalle and Tucuman (Florida on the Linea B subway line, then walk North, it's across from the McDonald's, Monday to Friday 10:00 to 18:00, tons of stores that will have anything electronic you need including 20/40/60W USB quick chargers with Argentine plug ins

2) You pay cash. I've read accounts from people of getting SUBE cards at lottery stores. I got mine almost a decade ago at the post office and still use the same one, not sure if this is still a thing.

3) Mercadolibre or Zonaprop (don't need a DNI to message them)

4) Mercadolibre, but until you have a DNI or a friend with one you can buy stuff on there so you might have to buy one from the Senegalese guys selling them on the sidewalk

5) Dexter; there's a giant one at the corner of Florida and Corrientes (right at the Florida station on the Linea B)

The SUBE situation is ridiculous… I tried to get one for a friend who was visiting in Palermo Hollywood a few months ago. I first went to a quiosco where I had bought another one literally one month earlier, and the girl was like “sube??? No, we absolutely don’t sell that here”. I told here I got one there a month earlier and she had no response to that except for a confused look on her face.

I then went to FOUR different quioscos, including one that had one of those big luminous signs that say “SUBE” and they all said no. The guy at the one with the sign didn’t even bother to explain why they had one, he just said “no,” and I didn’t inquire further because I didn’t want to get into an argument.

Thanks guys, that's all really helpful.

I actually managed to find some SUBE cards for sale. There's a kiosk at the crossing onf Darregueyra and Paraguay just opposite the Loteria place that has a big pile of them. Tried several other places so they're still rare!

I got a cheap USB charger for 500pesos in Palermo Soho and a wallet for 500 pesos from a Senegalese guy just beside the Dexter on Av Corrientes.

Thanks all for the tips!

I got my SUBE at the Tourist Assistance Center in Recoleta years ago. At that time, just needed to show my passport

Back