just arrived....where should I live

centroboy

Registered
Staying in a hotel in centro and would like some suggestions. I dont have a lot of money and I am street smart

Do you want an apartment, how long are you here for, how much money do you have to spend on rent? You may need to be a little more specific to get the advice you want!

How about Almagro? It's still nice and central, easy access to everywhere and got some great little spots, not overly touristy or overpriced. Villa Crespo is also a good option.

RachinBA said:
How about Almagro? It's still nice and central, easy access to everywhere and got some great little spots, not overly touristy or overpriced. Villa Crespo is also a good option.

I agree about Almagro. It's not as clean as Centro, but I still feel safe on the streets and it's easy to get pretty much everywhere.

LemonFeet said:
I agree about Almagro. It's not as clean as Centro, but I still feel safe on the streets and it's easy to get pretty much everywhere.

Yup, Almagro is pretty decent. I don't know about feeling safer but I think that depends on your perceptions ;).

If you are the kind of person who likes clean streets and pavements, I would suggest you stay away from Almagro though. But if you don't care about an occasional, rotting pile of dog sh*t (it took them 2 and a half months to clean one off of this one pavement), then Almagro is a decent place to live with a lot of local restaurants that have not been "internationalized".

Hi,

I'm also going to be new to Buenos Aires, can anyone tell me where's reasonable to rent etc? I'd fancy any suggestions...thanks!

nicoenarg said:
Yup, Almagro is pretty decent. I don't know about feeling safer but I think that depends on your perceptions ;).

If you are the kind of person who likes clean streets and pavements, I would suggest you stay away from Almagro though. But if you don't care about an occasional, rotting pile of dog sh*t (it took them 2 and a half months to clean one off of this one pavement), then Almagro is a decent place to live with a lot of local restaurants that have not been "internationalized".

True! Perception does have a lot to do with the "safe" factor. Truly though, as long as a person isn't irresponsible, it's as safe as any dog poop free part of the city as far as I'm concerned. I love that the neighborhood is free from the "internationalization" you refer to and the restaurants in this part of town are fairly well priced.

I currently live in Palermo (Fitzroy and Guatemala) and I don't like it at all. The street is filthy with rubbish and dog shit that never gets cleared and there are always dodgy people asking me for monedas and drinking in the streets. I feel really unsafe too as I'm on the first floor with balcony overlooking the street, my neighbour was robbed recently via his balcony. Palermo is overrated and overpriced if you ask me. Can't wait to move!

Plenty of robberies down here on my street too even though its considered a relatively safe area (Almagro). Our portero's apartment on the 8th floor was robbed a couple of months ago. The building across us was robbed a week before that.

Around the corner we have an unfinished building that is inhabited by drug addicts.

Plenty of drunks on the street at night making it unsafe (or "apparently" unsafe).

Buenos Aires overall is not that "safe" anymore. But what are you going to do!

I think if you really want to be safe in Buenos Aires then Puerto Madero might be the only place to run to, until that too is overrun by criminals.

Back