just arrived....where should I live

Same old stupid questions three times a week. Do people do any research anymore or do dumb asses just move and then ask. "Where can I live"? Where is it safe? Well....my friends in Accusso and Martinez who pay 6000 and 8500 $$USD per month rent have both been robbed at gun point "in their homes" within the past month. [this is with a guard in front of the house] who was discovered to be part of the plan.
Listen to Steve and get the hell out of BA!
Things are getting worse, not better.

Street smart is not falling asleep in the street drunk or sober in winter.
The cheapest still in San Telmo is Hotel Carley on Humberto primo.

I would take a look at Caballito (Primera Junta).
Is right in the middle of town, has a subway (Line A), many buses going everywhere, nice squares (Parque Rivadavia, Parque Centenario,etc), plenty of restaurants ans shops of quality, an small shopping with a movie theatre, and is very alive in week ends too (not dead like San Telmo), low crime, etc.

joemama said:
Palermo, obvio.

Maybe Belgrano if you don't like to go out much.

Next best bet is Villa Crespo, which is close to Palermo but cheaper. Almagro is very very 'eh'. I go there for Peruvian food, but that's about it.

San Telmo might as well be in Uruguay as far as I'm concerned due to is distance from Palermo.

Screw what people say about 'central' meaning close to 'el centro' - 'central' for most expats is Plaza Armenia.
Hardly --- I have lived here more than seven years and have been to the Plaza Armenia area less times than I can count on one hand. I have no interest in any part of Palermo.

HenryNisental said:
I would take a look at Caballito (Primera Junta).
Is right in the middle of town, has a subway (Line A), many buses going everywhere, nice squares (Parque Rivadavia, Parque Centenario,etc), plenty of restaurants ans shops of quality, an small shopping with a movie theatre, and is very alive in week ends too (not dead like San Telmo), low crime, etc.

Better rent anything real close to Rivadavia because if you don't you will guaranteed getting robbed or worse

Love the place but should be a couple metro stations earlier

It's hard to tell you where to stay as I'm not sure what you are looking for. When I was planning my move, and even after I arrived, everyone told me that I "needed" to live in San Telmo, which I did. But I found that the best way to pick a barrio was to live in different ones for a couple of months at a time and decide for myself. Here's my advice anyway on the place I lived...

San Telmo: I found it to be a filthy, urine soaked, expat ghetto. But maybe that was just my part of San Telmo. I have friends who live there and love it. If you're in your 20's, laid back, enjoy bars, and meeting similar expats San Telmo is a good option.

San Cristobal: Very neighborhoody. Impossible to get an English newspaper there. Which we thought was awesome. Very few expats, if any. Quiet. Blue collar. Elderly. Not "touristy" clean, but clean.

Almagro: This is where we have been living for 4 years with a baby. Again, not touristy clean, but clean. Subway and bus friendly. Enough going on to keep it interesting, but not so much that you are constantly overwhelmed by noise and traffic. Easy access to bars, restaurants, theaters, and parks.

I haven't lived in these barrios, but have been here long enough to have formed in impression:

Once: No Way. Dirty and loud during the day. Dirty and dangerous and night.

Palermo: there are so many different parts to Palermo. Lots of international restaurants and bars. Big expat scene. Some parts are great if you're a character from Sex In the City or one of those dramas where teenagers look like 20/30somethings, have orgies, and drink martinis. Other parts are more family oriented and quieter. In general, Palermo is great for high-end shopping and eating out.

Villa Crespo: This is the new up and coming barrio. International restaurants are sprouting up, high-end shopping, and apartments targeted to professional singles. Not as fancy as parts of Palermo, and still maintains a bit of a neighborhood feel.

As for crime, I've only been pick pocketed once. It was in Belgrano (Chinatown) and was not an aggressive encounter. There is crime all over the city. Some target expats, some target posh neighborhoods like Palermo and Recoleta. A lot of crime is just opportunistic. Be smart, don't flaunt your camera, your phone, your laptop or your wallet. Don't do favors for strangers, etc. You're going to hear a million horror stories about Buenos Aires. Filter.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Thuy

I think those (not for work or love) keep coming because either a) they came here for 1 week as a tourist and thought it was awesome; b) they have friends who were here for 1 week and told them it was awesome; c) they read a guide book that was either written 5 years ago or hasnt been updated in 5 years that told them it was the Paris of South America and they couldnt afford Paris.

@steveinbsas I didn´t know your brother was the San Telmo screamer!

Back