Just be careful

So funny.
pikto99, you could make a Quentin Tarantino type movie.

pericles said:
I have to say that you must take more precautions with your personal effects than you would in other cities. The thiefs who work Buenos Aires streets are amongst the worlds best . Do not ever wear a rolex, flash any jewellery or walk downtown with an expensive camera.

I personally have never once had a problem in 4 years here due to luck maybe and also being very aware of my surroundings and the people near me.

I have to disagree: Any big city is dangerous for the unwary. My cousin left Joberg because it was getting too dangerous, within two days of arriving in London he was in hospital with a cracked skull someone gave him, steeling his empty computor bag.
Personally the only time I have been pickpocketed was in Madrid, my first steps out ont the street.

You must be careful, that is a given, but the fact that you (and I) have never had a problem here, goes to show it is not as dangerous as some would have us believe.

All the advice given here is valid, and it is true, you should never loose sight of your valuables, or stop when something is spilled on you. But I would give this advice to anyone visiting any city anywhere in the world.

Recently I was walking on Santa Fe near Callao. An ELDERLY couple was sitting at an outside table next to the curb. The man had a guide book (in English) in his hands and his trifold wallet was open on the table in front of him. I could easily see the credit cards in the slots and his driver's license in the plastic window. It would only have taken an instant for someone to grab it and run (with little chance of being caught.) Of course I stopped and warned him to get his wallet off the table and not even allow others to see him taking money out of it, adding it is better not to even carry it with him here.

Then I noticed that his wife (who was sitting with her back to the curb) had her bag hung over the back of her chair. It was a wonderful target to anyone passing on a moto or a bike. They were shocked that such crime could occur in such a nice area of BA with so many people around, but they were happy not to have lost their valuables.

Yesterday, as I was walking to the Dicso supermarket on Uriburu, another (obviously) American in his 70's was waiting for cars to pass before crossing the street. Actually, he was jaywalking and leaning out from between the parked cars with a high end Sony digital camera slung around his neck. He had no idea what a great target he made for a thief on a moto. (If you've been here a while you know how they weave in and out of traffic and along any space between the cars and the curb.) Imagine the physical harm that could be inflicted by someone grabbing the camera strap without stopping. If the strap being jerked didn't break the neck, being slammed to the pavement in traffic or just into a parked car could prove fatal, especially to an elderly individual.

The best camera to use here is one small enough to fit in a pocket.

Check out the "avoid becoming a victim of crime" thread for more info.

You may not ever have a problem like these, but you can still get ripped off here...and for a lot more than a computer, camera, or some cash you had in your pocket.

Especially if you are dealing with a lawyer, architect, or customs broker.

Just to name a few.

steveinbsas said:
Especially if you are dealing with a lawyer, architect, or customs broker.

:) How very true, the biggest thieves will smile at you and then give you a bill.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gsi16386 Expat Life 25
Alicia karr Expat Life 23
P Expat Life 0
L Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 14
Back