Just bought a Laptop need Windows in English

Are you nere La Plata? I can give you a copy of Windows 7 ultimate with a license that will allow you to download all the updates. Just let me know.

You can just download a copy online and then download an activator. Duh !

The file is about 3.4 gigs so it might take a couple hours depending on your download speed.

AlexfromLA said:
You can just download a copy online and then download an activator. Duh !

I dunno, the OP did specifically mention wanting a legal copy :)

azmike9: If you have the license key for the copy you're already running a simple reinstall should take care of the language problem. All that leaves you with is acquiring the installation DVD itself. It's easily downloadable with a bit of digging, but make sure you trust the source!

If you do it this way, remember to install Windows 7 Pro and not Home or Ultimate. Your Pro key won't authenticate a Home or Ultimate installation :)

lol,

newbs

you can still get microsoft updates on an activated copy of W7. You just have to block the WAT update and you'll be fine.

Thanks to all!!!! davonz took care of me last week. It works great. Thanks again, Mike

For anyone that is interested.

Most new pc's/laptops that come with a copy of windows 7 have a SLIC 2.1 table (vista had a SLIC 2.0). It is in the bios and holds the key for windows 7.

When you install a OEM copy of windows, it checks the bios for the SLIC table and if it matches the OEM certificate on your installation DVD/USB stick it automatically activates windows.

You can only install language packs for windows 7 ultimate or enterprise. So if you buy a laptop here, with windows 7 pro/home in spanish on it, thats all you can have.

For mikes laptop i just took my HP DVD, copied over the Lenovo OEM certificate which matches his SLIC table and created him a bootable USB stick (his laptop doesnt have a DVD drive). So it now looks exactly like a copy of Windows 7 as if he purchased it in the states.

davonz said:
For anyone that is interested.

Most new pc's/laptops that come with a copy of windows 7 have a SLIC 2.1 table (vista had a SLIC 2.0). It is in the bios and holds the key for windows 7.

When you install a OEM copy of windows, it checks the bios for the SLIC table and if it matches the OEM certificate on your installation DVD/USB stick it automatically activates windows.

You can only install language packs for windows 7 ultimate or enterprise. So if you buy a laptop here, with windows 7 pro/home in spanish on it, thats all you can have.

For mikes laptop i just took my HP DVD, copied over the Lenovo OEM certificate which matches his SLIC table and created him a bootable USB stick (his laptop doesnt have a DVD drive). So it now looks exactly like a copy of Windows 7 as if he purchased it in the states.

Cheers for the info! I was aware of OEM keys being tied to the hardware they're shipped on somehow but didn't know the specifics.

Back