Just found an injured bird and need animal welfare group

Unfortunately la Protectora de Sarmiento only handles dogs & cats. Your best bet is probably to take care of it yourself, or try to find a compassionate local vet.

I have taken 3 injured birds and an injured kitten to our local vet in the past year,they treated them immediately at no cost to me..we are in the sticks,so maybe it,s a different species of person here.......

I think that besides a few smallish dog and cat welfare organisations (like sarmiento, another one called 4 patas, etc) a lot of the frontline rescues and treatment of really bad cases of abandonment/abuse/injury etc are actually dealt with by individual "protectoras". They're sometimes "Known" in each barrio if you ask around and they also have quite large networks on Facebook (which is where I'd start)

The for the ongoing ideas and suggestions. The vet I spoke with yesterday said he'll come by today to check out the bird. With any luck, he actually will.

I've found, as I wrote before, that most vet clinics here don't handle "street birds." What's more, as @jenndean said, La Protectora de Sarmiento doesn't help with birds. I just spoke with the owners and they said they don't have the room.

Will post a follow-up with, I hope, happy news.

Markgeezer said:
If this vet fails, call Aves Argentinas 4943 7216.

What sort of bird is it ?

Thanks so much, Mark. Just spoke to Aves Argentinas and they were super helpful (unfortunately, the vet is coming between 12:00 and 12:30, otherwise, I'd have definitely gone to the hospital A.A. recommended). Here's what Aves Argentinas told me, for future reference in case anyone needs this info.

There's a vet school with a hospital in Agronomia that charges 35 pesos for a consult. You have to get an appointment, but if the animal is injured they'll bump you up to the front. And if I understood correctly, they'll also keep the bird and take care of it until it's healthy enough to be released.

Here's the hospital's contact information (if it's a bird, you have to ask for Animales No Tradicionales):

Tel: 4524-8455 // 4524-8510 // 4510-8951
Avenida San Martin 4453

As for the type of bird, it looks similar to this:
http://www.pbase.com/mark_priest/image/112484864

Glad to hear that A A could help.

Hmmm, there are no Willow Warblers in the Americas. my guess would be a House Wren (Ratona). If you take a photo I will identify it.

Markgeezer said:
Glad to hear that A A could help.

Hmmm, there are no Willow Warblers in the Americas. my guess would be a House Wren (Ratona). If you take a photo I will identify it.

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, I have zero knowledge of birds (aside from the obvious ones like parakeets and parrots). Here's a picture I just took.

Attachments

• palomita.jpg
    palomita.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 13
Its a sparrow.
Thanks for the info Markgeezer! I will use that organization next time I see a birds around my neighborhood with issues!!

NYKate said:
Its a sparrow.
Thanks for the info Markgeezer! I will use that organization next time I see a birds around my neighborhood with issues!!

That's it! That was driving me crazy. I rescued a bird a few years ago in Upstate New York and it, too, was a sparrow.

Back