Just got some gigantic pants

PhilipDT said:
First of all, since this is the BAExpats website, we mostly hail from one city. Secondly, look at AKBills avatar, clearly regular saftey pins will not suffice, and these

CASFRsafetypin_0671.jpg

are not so easily found in stores here. Unlike the US, things are not so easily supersized.

are you calling me fat? :eek: i challenge you to a waist measure off and the loser has to buy the other a years supply of safety pins

uruguay con cordoba tomorrow at 11am

no excuses, safety pins for all

and if they dont sell them may god have mercy on our souls

Look for costureras. They'll shorten your pants as much as you wish.

Goshinki said:
Why not simply hem them?

If I may deviate a little, is it really so difficult to find simple items like safety pins and horseradish in your respective cities/towns that you have to come on here to find them?

You have no idea. There's a lot of things you take for granted back in the USA that do not appear on shelves here, or do not appear in the stores where you would expect them to be. ie for me the stupid thing that I couldn't find forever to finally realise was just sold in a different form -- cotton balls.

syngirl said:
You have no idea. There's a lot of things you take for granted back in the USA that do not appear on shelves here, or do not appear in the stores where you would expect them to be. ie for me the stupid thing that I couldn't find forever to finally realise was just sold in a different form -- cotton balls.

What syngirl said. There's a different organizational structure here, not to mention a lack of variety like we're used to in the States and other places. Safety pins (along with buttons, ribbon, shoelaces, thread--but not yarn!--and other kinds of pins) can be bought at stores called mercerías (AK Bill) but it took me forever and a sewing project to really figure that out. Unless you're in the sewing district where they're plentiful, and you know where the sewing district (or the leather district, or watch district, or medical textbook district, or wheatevevr you're really looking for as there seem to be concentrated 'districts' of where certain items are sold in the city) actually is located, they're hidden around the various neighborhoods and can be hard to find. Other items (like horseradish, garlic salt, flour tortillas, might be here one day and gone the next, perhaps never to reappear, or maybe reappear 6-12 months later. When they reappear they might cost 2-3x the price you last paid for them. Nobody knows what to expect. It's definitely different.

Back