Just one more crisis

nikad said:
Being Argentine, that is why it is so hard for me to understand why, for example in the US, people freak out so much about crisis :) For us it is just natural, cyclic. I guess both extremes are bad, lok at the Swedish and their incredibly high suicide rates; when things are too predictable, living is just not a lot of fun I guess (?)
Wait one, is not Argentina the shrink capital of the world? More psychologists per capita than any other nation on the Planet. Have my appointment set up for Tuesday 4:00PM:D

nikad said:
Being Argentine, that is why it is so hard for me to understand why, for example in the US, people freak out so much about crisis :) For us it is just natural, cyclic. I guess both extremes are bad, lok at the Swedish and their incredibly high suicide rates; when things are too predictable, living is just not a lot of fun I guess (?)

It's the high price of beer, I think I would kill myself if I could not have a drink (that or kill the people selling it).
Not to forget half the year in darkness, the only plus is all those blonds but then if I went with one of them I would not have to kill myself my wife would do it for me.:D

Quiet in the street. You could walk down sidewalks in one piece without breaking your ankle and not be engulfed in a cloud of fumes with fingers in your ears from the deafening piercing noise from one bus.

Argentina has some of the lowest population density in the world. I am sure there are plenty of quiet streets...or no streets at all. Have you never lived in a major Metropolitan City.

...the most polluted river in S. America (the smell alone must cause cancer), yet they whine about Uruguay. Yes, it must be all their fault.

Have you ever heard the expression "Superfund site"? Not to mention that there is an entire "dead zone" the size of Rhode Island in the Gulf of Mexico caused by the fertilizer chemicals coming out of the Mississippi. (This was prior to BP...yummmy tar balls) As the Brooklyn people on this board about Newtown Creek where Exxon simply dumped oil and God knows what else right into it. This was from decades ago and only now getting some action.

This place is a mess. Its not just the inflation but the predictions are dire.

I am pretty sure I read in Bloomberg that Argentina's economy is expected to grow +9.0% next year.

Argentina has had 10 years and has done next to nothing to make life better and apparently they are beating their war drums to bring this lovely lifestyle to those farmers on the south atlantic islands. How selfish of the ruling families who run this mafia that passes for a country.

Don't you think the Falklands issue is much more than islands. There are serious expectations that a large viable undersea petroleum deposits are located near the islands waters.(cannot remember if its crude or natural gas) . Not to mention becoming one of the Catholic countries to legalize same-sex marriage.

Honestly, you sound as if you hate here. If its a job, quit, you will find another I am sure. If its a spouse...if they truly love you, explain that you are miserable and it is time to go....anywhere else you want. If ts family...well see previous. And if it's fear, well, from what you described, Place X cannot be worse, so there is nothing to fear.

[Fix the sidewalks. Put a muffler and catalytic converter on your cars. Want to know how many countries mandate these? Argentina is closer to India than Western nations.

The pizza back in the US may not have been to your liking, but life was so much easier, wasnt it? no long lines winding out the door to get coins, at least a smile once in a while vs. this bitter angry furious place. Quiet in the street. You could walk down sidewalks in one piece without breaking your ankle and not be engulfed in a cloud of fumes with fingers in your ears from the deafening piercing noise from one bus. The percentage of the population that is crude and rude is huge. And so on and so on. Horrible pollution, noise and more noise, broken sidewalks, nasty people and unpleasant encounter, plus hassle after hassle, strike and protests (this week I was caught in a city wide bus strike) and fake money and a govt. that could care less about the people, the most polluted river in S. America (the smell alone must cause cancer), yet they whine about Uruguay. Yes, it must be all their fault.

This place is a mess. Its not just the inflation but the predictions are dire. Argentina has had 10 years and has done next to nothing to make life better and apparently they are beating their war drums to bring this lovely lifestyle to those farmers on the south atlantic islands. How selfish of the ruling families who run this mafia that passes for a country.[/quote]

Dillster I alone will offer my sympathy and agree with you on all points as I guess you are having one of those bad days that tends to beset most expats who have lived here for 5+years..speaking from my opwn experience on those days I can say it's not misery for misery sake nor moaning for the sake of moaning..it's just a sense of helplessness, incredulity and overall frustration that a nation with such fantastic potential acts time and time again like the biggest loser in the room. Please other expats try to empathise with these types of posts..if you havent felt one of these days you clearly havent lived here for many years or else live in Las Canitas on a USD salary with a member of the K establishment..:confused:

The scaffolding on building sites seems to sum up the Argentinian mindset for me. Unlike scaffolding you see at home (UK) which is there to support the building and the daily routine of the workers onsite, the scaffolding on BA building sites just seems to be a wooden gutter on the first floor above the street. It's almost like the attitude is "Things are going to go wrong from time to time so let's just put that there to catch people/bricks/metal poles when they fall." Metaphor or bullshit? I am not sure myself.

Señor Suitcase
Our blog LIVE from BA - www.senorsuitcase.com
http://www.twitter.com/senorsuitcase - Follow Us!

dillster said:
Most Argentines have lived in a state of crisis all their lives.

Yes, that is true Sara and ALL due to the fact that the culture creates this. Argentinism is a disease. Sad to see another generation infected with it. Six military coups, one per decade on average, beginning in 1930.

Why is there no inspection system for vehicles? The cars, buses, trucks are the worst I have ever seen and I have been to the poorest countries in the world. The pollution that pours out of one is appalling. Waiting at the bus stop yesteray, I saw buses blacking out the whole block. In the province, cars have no lights, and are tied together with coat hangars and rope and tape.

Fix the sidewalks. Put a muffler and catalytic converter on your cars. Want to know how many countries mandate these? Argentina is closer to India than Western nations.

The pizza back in the US may not have been to your liking, but life was so much easier, wasnt it? no long lines winding out the door to get coins, at least a smile once in a while vs. this bitter angry furious place. Quiet in the street. You could walk down sidewalks in one piece without breaking your ankle and not be engulfed in a cloud of fumes with fingers in your ears from the deafening piercing noise from one bus. The percentage of the population that is crude and rude is huge. And so on and so on. Horrible pollution, noise and more noise, broken sidewalks, nasty people and unpleasant encounter, plus hassle after hassle, strike and protests (this week I was caught in a city wide bus strike) and fake money and a govt. that could care less about the people, the most polluted river in S. America (the smell alone must cause cancer), yet they whine about Uruguay. Yes, it must be all their fault.

This place is a mess. Its not just the inflation but the predictions are dire. Argentina has had 10 years and has done next to nothing to make life better and apparently they are beating their war drums to bring this lovely lifestyle to those farmers on the south atlantic islands. How selfish of the ruling families who run this mafia that passes for a country.

...BroccoliAndTea? Is that you?

Some one remind me...what was it with Cabrera again? The end of the world by the 1st..or will never comment (rant) on BAexpats again...or was it the collapse of the United States... Proof of some kind of conspiracy? Guess I was not paying attention

Seriously though... from my experiences...having lived in a few 3rd world countries... the lack of economic stability is closely tied to corruption of the government and it's peoples lack of trust in the system/the systems future. This leads society to think on individual terms...what can I get for me now attitude. This leads to a total break down of society...since the whole point of "society"..is to gain strength in #'s..
This often manifests itself in a vicious and predictable cycle (6 years/10years) of economic up and down turns (bubbles and crashes).. unfortunately the outcome is always the same.. the rich get richer...the poor get poorer

Back