Just realised I've overstayed

Diskosis

Registered
Crap - I just looked at my passport and realised I'm at 93 days. Very stupid, I know - I thought I had more time.

I could try to get a ferry over to Colonia in the next two days, or head down to migraciones (last time I went to Colonia). One time I took the Buque after I had overstayed 2 or 3 days and the agent just waved it off. Any ideas about which would be the least risky, and cheapest option?

Urgent advice would be appreciated, as I've got to move on this today.

DO NOT go to migraciones! You will be fined $300 pesos and have ten days to leave the country (this will be written on the receipt for payment of the fine). Either go to Colonia (without panic) or just stay in country until you plan to leave for an extended period.

Thanks very much Steve. I'll go and book my ticket now. Do you think there's any chance they'll overlook the fine this time? It will be 5 days overstay - that's pushing it, isn't it?

erocifeller said:
I would turn myself over to the authorities if I were you. Each extra day over equates to one month in prison.

this is a joke right?

Diskosis said:
Thanks very much Steve. I'll go and book my ticket now. Do you think there's any chance they'll overlook the fine this time? It will be 5 days overstay - that's pushing it, isn't it?

I can't predict what they'll do, but yes, that's pushing it. I only received one extension at migraciones and then got my temporary residency so I never made the trip to Colonia.

Let us know what happens in any case. Good luck.

Do you already have many stamps in your passport?

If you've been here awhile (i.e. have a lot of stamps from Argentina in your passport) just overstay and pay the fine when you leave or are ready to take a trip. I strongly recommend against doing a border crossing just to renew your visa, especially since it's already expired. You'll potentially save yourself a lot of headaches.

erocifeller said:
I would turn myself over to the authorities if I were you. Each extra day over equates to one month in prison.

takinnotes said:
this is a joke right?

If it wasn't it would mean lots of perma-tourists could stay in Argentina legally...

and not have to worry about finding a guarantia or getting their deposit back.

Of course it's a joke, silly.:p

I will have at least over a month overstay. Have 2 expired passport : 1 (lost stolen) with original Argentine Visa : 1 (emergency passport) and a new blank FULL 10 year US passport. my overstay will be at least 1 month. I'm expecting a fine, but have the feeling it's going to mad complicated at the border .. yeah I fucked myself haha

takinnotes said:
I will have at least over a month overstay. Have 2 expired passport : 1 (lost stolen) with original Argentine Visa : 1 (emergency passport) and a new blank FULL 10 year US passport. my overstay will be at least 1 month. I'm expecting a fine, but have the feeling it's going to mad complicated at the border .. yeah I fucked myself haha

If you have a new passport with one argentina stamp in it... no pasa nada. Your fine won't be any different than if you overstayed a week. Just play dumb.

Back