Just saw a violent robbery / assault

I've actually been surprised at the number of drivers who DON'T run red lights. Especially considering the lack of traffic rules here. Seems like way more people in the US run red lights, and it's something you will actually get ticketed for there.

Amargo said:
Well, you find in the US lots of things in the supermarkets, the food there is supposedly the best in the World, the biggest economy in the World, the best education...yet this is much more common there than in BA.

Sorry but what you are saying is not true. Crime statistics are deliberately being talked down by those who have an interest in doing so.
Argentina, is going down the road of Venezuela, where thieves know that they will never be punished, kind of like 'Robin hood' is allowed to steal & assault those who 'have' culture under the current political climate...there's crime everywhere in the city, night & day , all hours, every minute someone is being robbed, from pickpocketing to full blown violent assault & robbery.

If you are a tourist considering coming to BsAs, think carefully why you want to be here.
I'm an Argentinian & I have family in the police force here, I get to hear everything that they don't want to tell the tourists.

EDIT: Note that the police here in the capital are run by the Opposition - The Federal government, so there's an incentive to let the guard down. Why make Macri's territory appear well managed & orderly?

For the first time after living down here for 2 years, I had some guy try to pickpocket me and I caught his ass.

I like to think of myself as being very street savvy and take every precaution to prevent things like this happening and finally it all payed off. I like to carry around my computer bag with nothing in it (except for like monedas, etc) just in case I buy something and need to carry it back home. I also keep all my money/credit cards in my front pockets, then empty my wallet and keep it in my computer bag.

Two days ago, I was on the D line of the subte and it was packed. I was standing up with my computer bag in front of me and I noticed a short, old, dark skinned man standing in front of me with a coat draped over his left arm inching closer and closer towards me. I even had my hand over the zipper portion to further secure my bag (although all I had in there was an empty wallet:). He kept pressing up against me and I kind of had an idea of what could have been going on, but just didn't think this guy would have the nerve to try and get inside my bag. Then all of a sudden I pull back my bag real fast then out flies my wallet with the pocket of my bag completely unzipped. I WENT NUTS. I got in his face and yelled NO TOCAS MI BOLSITA PUTO LADRON!! I really wanted to beat the shit out of him but he could have had a knife, be working with other guys, who knows. So I opted against that. Instead I kept yelling at him calling him a Ladron, then everyone else started yelling at him calling him a Ladron and told him to get the hell off the train. It was awesome!

The next stop he got off and there was still NO policemen to be found, but at least this is one score for the good guys!!! kind of...

Agreed that this is scary. That said, I've had two experiences in the last two weeks where all the locals jumped in to help after a robbery -- and in both cases the suspect was arrested. Today in Recoleta, the police showed up in about 90 seconds and had the perp on the ground and in handcuffs. Really amazing to watch/be part of all the bystanders who got involved and took action.

Crime is a reality here, but I'm trying to remain positive and enjoy this amazing city -- downsides and upsides.

I was having lunch at a very popular restaurant in San Telmo one Saturday afternoon with a group of Porteno art dealers and lawyers when a perp tried to snatch a purse from a nearby table. My back was to the incident, but one of the men I was with saw the perp lift the purse from the back of the woman's chair. Another man at a nearby table saw it and yelled. I had no idea what was happening, but suddenly my (large) friend LUNGED OVER ME AND TACKLED THE FLEEING PERP.

He pinned him to the ground until the police arrived (almost 20 minutes later).

He didn't try to hurt the perp, but it was clear he was ready, willing, and able to do so...especially since he had been robbed at gunpoint in a San Telmo store the previous week at 5 PM.

Back