Karo Syrup (corn syrup/jarabe de maiz)

tod

Registered
This will be my first Christmas in Buenos Aires and I was looking forward to making some treats that my mom makes this time of year in the states. Since I want to make homemade caramels, marshmallows and sugared fruits, a vital ingredient is corn syrup.

I have checked Carrefour, Dieteticas shops and the baking aisle at Jumbo, but haven't found any yet. Has anyone seen corn syrup in Buenos Aires or know of a good local substitute besides honey?

Thanks,
Tracey

I have used honey, make sure it's pale in color, so you know it's a mild honey. and it works just fine...better for you than karo syrup too :)

LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE
2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of salt
Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.
Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups

****HAVE NOT TRIED THIS BUT IT'S WORTH A TRY AND MAKES SENSE....BEST OF LUCK!

Reactions: tod
You should get corn syrup no problem at most supermarkets, look for " kero " in the jams/preserves aisle, or where they put sweeteners, etc.

nikad said:
You should get corn syrup no problem at most supermarkets, look for " kero " in the jams/preserves aisle, or where they put sweeteners, etc.

Yep, it's absolutely spelled "KERO".

I used some for a pecan pie I made over Thanksgiving and I bought it at the JUMBO near Chacarita. (subte B: Tronador VA. Ortuzar) It is right there as you get out of the subte. But I'm betting that the other Jumbo's would have it as well.

They sometimes put it close to honey too ;)

I bought some Kero syrup in Jumbo in Pilar, I know I've seen it in the Jumbo in Palermo and probably even in Carrefour.

But the stuff I've found is a brownish, honey-colored syrup. I'm used to seeing kero syrup as clear. Does anyone know how this version affects cooking? Can it be used just like the clear stuff I'm used to?

ElQueso said:
But the stuff I've found is a brownish, honey-colored syrup. I'm used to seeing kero syrup as clear.

Definitely not light corn syrup. It's looks like it's ready to be mixed with a touch of maple syrup and then poured on pancakes. It is by no means "light corn syrup".

Nap

Back