Keynes Vs. Hayek: To Tax And Spend Or Not

Even Keynes wasn't in favor of the endless deficit spending that is occurring in most of the developed world. He favored running surpluses during economic growth periods.

Politicians love endless deficit spending because it allows them to to lavish out favors to their cronies and constituents and leave the bill for others to pay.

These "Neo-Keynesian" policies are why most of the developed world economies are stagnating, wages are declining and more people are resorting to welfare.

However politicians will never give up on deficit spending voluntarily so this spiral downward will continue.

Yo Hayek, clearly.

Joe - I like what you say about the Neo-Keynesian policies as well.

Question - What has the Argentine Government and Economy been doing between 2001 - 2012????? The whole Monetary situation seems to be under a great deal of stress again. Can someone relate the past 12 years of Argentina's policy back to either of these two macro economic models?. Or just state where the government/ country may have gone wrong to de-base the currency again?

PS. Great videos

Reactions: Joe
It is a caricature to suggest that Keynes was only about spending money but that is how the General Theory on Employment, Interest and Money has been dumbed down by his detractors and equal measure his so called supporters. The clearest example I know of politics trumping sound economics is the policy pursued by Gordon Brown and his so called "Golden Rule" to "end boom and bust" in the UK economy and get back to sustained growth - that over the period of the business cycle Government net borrowing should only be for investment and not current spending. But when things got difficult and by 2004 Gordon then started playing with definitions as to when one should measure the beginning and end of the business cycle. But proper economics has always been about political practicalities - which is why for instance the LSE still keeps the name London School of Economics and Political Science. Even whilst residing there Hayek lived in another world where there was no need for pragmatism

I understand it is fairly hard to find any examples of any Government who has pursued exclusively Hayekian economic policies. There have been many versions of so called "Keynsian" economic policies as this became the pervading economic orthodoxy encountering a range of economic situations post war which Keynes never himself addressed - because he wasn't around to produce General Theory 2nd edition etc . So Samualson, Hicks and a host of lesser economist could go off unchecked peddling there own distillations and concoctions as the whole thing got diluted

Re point about whether either of these serious economists were the inspiration for the management of the Argentine Economy in the last 12 years there was a Bs Ex pats discussion group that met up to go through K Economics is a few months ago with an Argentine economist which I couldnt get to so I'm assuming some sort of analysis and conclusion came out of that? Thread should be redirected there if anyone can point to the right direction

The Hayek v Keynes debate which has clearly kept the Bs Ex Pats enthralled is hereby closed and I can announce the WINNER

Hayek wins by a count of two silly videos to none.

Keynes lets himself down badly by not keeping up with social media - that's what comes from having been married to a ballerina and hanging around the Bloomsbury set

Hayek wins by a count of two silly videos to none.

Now that made me literally start laughing out loud. Thank you for that conclusion.

To have met up with that group, or now to hear a summary of their findings or of their discussion would definitely be interesting. It seems there is an interest/ passion for economics and politics on these forums, of rather insightful and informed individuals.

Camberiu - These videos are Legiiiiiit.

Now that made me literally start laughing out loud. Thank you for that conclusion.

It seems there is an interest/ passion for economics and politics on these forums, of rather insightful and informed individuals.

There are Keynsians and there are the others :)

Silly videos count in this contest but not videos of insane ranters!

My game my rules. :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 0
Back