Kissing

Gringoboy

Registered
From a bloke to bloke perspective, that is.
I've only been here about seven years and my first introduction to this custom was a mega kiss from my future father in law, which almost sucked my cheekbone away.
He's like that with everyone, but I was still a bit, WTF?
Of course now, it's all par for the course and I accept it for what it is; part of the colour of this unusual and unpredictable country.
My sisters back home in Wales and England think it's a very quaint custom that should be encouraged, but I beg to differ.
It's probably the Brit in me and so I tend to avoid it, if possible. Of course there are times when the approach is so overwhelming that there is literally no escape and one has to accept the inevitable.
Extending the arm in greeting, making it quite clear that a simple handshake will suffice, often works but not always.
Wearing a white mask works to a lesser extent, but that often means total rejection and should only be used in extreme circumstances.
What do other feel about this custom?

i found it strange to begin with but i lived with a Spanish bloke in Edinburgh for a few years before moving here so i was introduced to it before moving.

Although its worse there. They have 2 kisses!

The worst is when the other dude has a beard. That puts the gross factor to about a 10.

It's an incredibly time consuming custom. As our company grows it amazes me that our employees come in and take the ime to kiss everyone in the room. I must admit this warmth is something I really like about the Argentines.

Just to add to this - because I honestly think it's an interesting topic...not all the men kiss, you know. You may or may not have noticed that there is a not-so-fine social line between who does it and who doesn't, as well as tons of other oddities which remind me very much of British social class differences.

I remember my first days back in Belgium. I wanted to kiss everyone myself, which of course in Belgium is kind of strange ;-)

I have gotten use to all the kissing over the 5 or 6 years that I have been here. You are right, it is time consuming and sometimes I just duck out of a room just to save time. I am sure people think I am just a rude gringo, but if you have to kiss 15 or 20 people goodbye, that only 10 minutes earlier or so you kissed hello, it is easier to just sneak out.

There have also been those awkward moments like when I kissed my lawyer when he was expecting a hand shake. Or when I kissed my doctor and once again, I could tell it was not correct.

The balance about who to kiss or who to not kiss is sometimes confusing as hell. I was told by locals that you always kiss women and men only if you are friends. Being gay does not help, I don't want to scare straight men. (well...sometimes it is fun) There is that moment when extended hands and arms are trying to decide which is correct. I do love it on one level.

But I do find that in general like it. It is great tradition and one of great things about this crazy place.

I have gotten used to it but it is still awkward when its the men doing it.. What is really wierd to me is when I meet up with my Harley riding friends and they all kiss each other, and me.. Would never see that in the US..

A kiss between a guy and a girl, or two girls is something normal, and nothing for get scared. should be too cold to feel like that with a simple kiss of greeting. The only way wich should make you feel like that its when you are a guy and the other is a guy too. Anyway this last its getting as a custom too (two guys kissing), but only when is a feeling of great friendship.

I do what Gringoboy mentioned. I extend my hand for a shake and that usually works. I just never know if they are going to take my hand in a "formal" shake like we do in the States for the most part, or in a thumb-grip shake which is more informal, amongst friends handshake where I come from.

I often fumble the shake.

But sometimes the guy will take my hand and pull me to him, leaving no other option but to be quite socially rude in pulling back at that point.

And when that stubble mingles with my stubble...

Like the crossing of micro-swords.

Back