La Cabrera...Happy Hour?

Boomersic

Registered
I hear La Cabrera is a great place for good carne. Also, from 7-8pm its 40% off?!?! Kind of like a happy hour for meat. ;)

Is this true? Also, if so, are making reservations a must?

Kindly,

Boomer

No need to make a reservation just get in line 15/20 mins before opening.

I went 2 months ago and it was terrible! The waiter we had seemed to be annoyed we were speaking bas spanish you have have 1 hour to eat and get out. I also find it a little uncomfortable when you're in a place where all of the customers are speaking English.

The place is way out expensive too. The list price for proveleta was 70 or 75 and the steaks were 150/160.

I share exactly the same experience like Panini. When I first got to BsAs last year I also thought that La Cabrera is great, I went there a few times, but after living here a while I realised that there are way better options (quality/price) than La Cabrera.

However, I went there last week with some friends that are visiting (that are not used to Argentine cena hours yet) so I thought with the 40% discount it's not bad option. The atmosphere was stressed and the waiters not attentive at all, the service was miserable (we got the steaks at 7.45h, so theoretically had 15min to eat plus we got the side dishes 15min before the meat so all of them were cold by the time the meat arrived, the waiters didn't respond to this) and yes, everything ridiculously overpriced, so with the 40% your bill comes to the same as in a more authentic parrilla with better atmosphere

I went for the happy hour. I ate and drank so fast that I threw up everything afterwards!! It was tasty, but do you really want to enjoy a steak dinner that way? Why not go to a less famous but equally good steak places (Cervantes II near Congreso for example) and eat for the same price as Cabrera's discount, at any time of day without the weird rush and all the gringos that are having dinner at 7PM.

Panini said:
The place is way out expensive too. The list price for proveleta was 70 or 75 and the steaks were 150/160.

160 for a steak? Thats absurd.

PhilipDT said:
160 for a steak? Thats absurd.

I have to agree with that! Damn, I can buy two whole lomos or ojos de bife (I mean the whole cut 1.5 kilos+, not a portion to eat) for that price or just a little more, at a certain butcher shop I know in Mataderos (and others I've found in Congreso, but not as good quality)!

I know, not the same as going to a restaurant and having someone else grill your meat for you - but hell.

Besides, when we cook our lomos or ojos de bifes on the grill - much better cooked than any parilla in town ;)

Went there a cpl of months ago, the service is probably among the best you will get in BA, even if it is touristy. Yeah its pricey, but also offers 20% discount with the club la nación card if someone has it. The meat is awesome.

I think the value for money is still pretty good.

My favourite mainstream parilla though is definitely Siga la vaca (the PM location). Love it.

trennod said:
Went there a cpl of months ago, the service is probably among the best you will get in BA, even if it is touristy. Yeah its pricey, but also offers 20% discount with the club la nación card if someone has it. The meat is awesome.

I think the value for money is still pretty good.

My favourite mainstream parilla though is definitely Siga la vaca (the PM location). Love it.

Mate you are risking it going there . La Cabrera has has two entraderas in the last 12 months and many patrons were robbed at gunpoint .

Back