La veda and booze

starlucia

Registered
Erm, I'm trying to figure out exactly when the ban on alcohol sales kicks in this weekend. Clarin seems to say that it begins at 12am Sunday, and La Nacion says "12 hours before the polls close" (but when do they close?) :confused: But searching previous threads on this subject, the ban might begin even earlier than that. Basically I just want to know if I'll be able to buy wine at Disco tonight and order a bottle at a restaurant tomorrow around 9:30pm...

Clarin: El Código Electoral Nacional prevé además la prohibición de todo tipo de espectáculo masivo -cultural, social o deportivo- durante el domingo de las elecciones, lo mismo que la venta de bebidas alcohólicas desde la cero hora del día del comicio hasta que se cumplan tres horas de finalizado.

La Nacion: Doce horas antes y tres horas después de finalizados los comicios, están prohibidos la portación de armas, banderas, divisas u otros distintivos y el expendio de bebidas alcohólicas.

The rules seem to change all the time.
During the last general election, shops and restaurants stopped selling alcohol at around 6pm the evening before...
I'd assume that you'll be fine purchasing alcohol tonight but you may have trouble getting a glass of wine with your dinner tomorrow at a restaurant.

I would agree - I wouldn't count on being able to buy wine tomorrow night at any restaurant.

Tonight yes, you can buy wine.

In '07 the cutoff was 8pm Saturday night. I don't know exactly what it is this time, but there will probably be signs up in grocery stores tomorrow letting us know exactly.

Last couple of times earlier this year I found that Chinos, unlike chain supermarkets, sell wine/whathaveyou during the curfew or at least minutes after the polls close.

More importantly I found that if you take your own bottle of wine to a restaurant you can still drink it, so it's the cheapest day of the year to go out. It's not even frowned upon.

Stock up for a fine bbq on Sunday. It's cheaper to drink at home anyway :)

Back