Lack of seafood in Argentina

Argentines prefer beef, eaten almost raw and fresh off the cow. They disdain lesser things like pork, chicken, and of course anything that comes from the sea.

Where have you seen rare/raw beef? All the locals I know eat their beef "al punto", which is overcooked IMO. I have to tell them "muy jugoso" all the time and most times it's still overcooked to my taste.

Lot's of trucha here in the west. Most all restaurants have "rabas" on the appetizer menu. I don't prefer seafood so it doesn't matter to me.

I would expect to see at least one decent fishmonger in the capital so no surprise to see that there is. 100 miles out and you're more likely to see frozen fish fingers than a fillet of Gatuzo whatever that is.
I think Argentines do like fish, at least those that I know do...except my wife!! Maybe it's just not easily obtainable or most of it is too expensive? Pasta, pizza. chicken followed by meat seems to be the regular choice of meals amongst the locals.

Where have you seen rare/raw beef? All the locals I know eat their beef "al punto", which is overcooked IMO.

Yes that's been my experience too. I have nothing against those who prefer their beef rare but at least my wife doesn't get glared at by the waiter in a restuarant here when she asks for her bife de chorizo to be well done.

I would expect to see at least one decent fishmonger in the capital so no surprise to see that there is. 100 miles out and you're more likely to see frozen fish fingers than a fillet of Gatuzo whatever that is.
I think Argentines do like fish, at least those that I know do...except my wife!! Maybe it's just not easily obtainable or most of it is too expensive? Pasta, pizza. chicken followed by meat seems to be the regular choice of meals amongst the locals.
I'm sure it's not the only decent fishmonger in the capital ;-) but my experience until now has been that you can find almost everything you need within a 3 block radius in the capital, including fish. Even the itinerant city markets have fish stalls with a reasonable selection. Hell, even Coto has a good selection of frozen fish and seafood. Are things really so different 100 miles out?

Go to La Vaca in San Isidro to see all the red blood-dripping steaks you want. When I still ate beef always had to send my steak back once, and even twice, to get it "well done".

Same in many other restaurants. I resorted to requesting my steak done "suela de zapato" - shoe sole. That worked.

1E9F33E8-5357-4AFC-B113-853290E60327.jpeg
Found some stats regarding seafood consumption.
As you can see Argentina is not a big consumer of it, despite the quality of local fresh seafood one can find.

Most supermarkets like Jumbo seem to sell frozen and imported fish, probably reflecting local tastes where those who want good fish will seek it out. Lately the fresh fish counter at my local Jumbo has just been full of Merluza, Chilean Salmon and little else.

Likewise, there are not too many seafood restaurants in CABA compared to most other cities that I have lived in. But there is a fish and chip shop in Palermo, and a few fairly good ones like Ostramar, Surubí, La Marisquería and La Pescadorita that use fresh and not frozen seafood. Most Argentines I know seem to go crazy for seafood when visiting Ushuaia or foreign places like Spain, but when they get back to CABA they prefer the parilla or pasta.

This unsophisticated human loves vitel thone. With lots of capers. Yummy.....!
Not sure if I would call it unsophisticated or just masochistic... for me it is up there with nato and pig trotters and as one of the world foods which gross me out most. Not sure if it’s the color, the texture or the explosion of ... flavor? Oh well, taste is an acquired thing anywhere on earth.

Are things really so different 100 miles out?

Yes they are. Even the best of the two fishmongers here have a poor selection...merluza is always available as is chicken of the sea. Occasionally another variety can be had usually an expensive one. As the fish has been bought frozen and thawed out by the fishmonger goodness knows when it was caught. Most of the last lot of merluza I bought ended up in the cat due to it having a mushy texture.

Argentines prefer beef, eaten almost raw and fresh off the cow. They disdain lesser things like pork, chicken, and of course anything that comes from the sea.
I know a few Argentines who would rather eat a piece of salmon instead of meat. (BEEF!)

Back