Lack of seafood in Argentina

I know a few Argentines who would rather eat a piece of salmon instead of meat. (BEEF!)

Right, A FEW Argentines. I used to order it but don't anymore, after reading about the problems with farmed salmon.

In Washington I used to buy fresh Dover sole, flown every day in the Concorde - a heavenly delicacy. The Concorde also flew in freshly baked French baguettes, but I drew the line at that.

Last edited:
Right, A FEW Argentines. I used to order it but don't anymore, after reading about the problems with farmed salmon.

In Washington I used to buy fresh Dover sole, flown every day in the Concorde - a heavenly delicacy. The Concorde also flew in freshly baked French baguettes, but I drew the line at that.
We actually have fresh brioche available here. It comes every week from France.

I don't eat farmed seafood. YUK!

Fresh, wild caught or nothing for me.

Argentines don’t really care for fish or seafood. They are pretty content with their meat accompanied by some kind of brown or white starch.
Walked along the costanera the other day and every street stall was selling the same old meat sandwiches con papas - not a squid ring or crumbed gamba in sight, unlike say, Spain.
I have found several restaurants that cook fish beautifully. My favorite grills squid.

I have found several restaurants that cook fish beautifully. My favorite grills squid.

Oh man, when I was a surfer, back in the late 70's and early 80's, a very popular beach food was squid sliced in rings, breaded, and fried. They came out almost like onion rings, and with tartar sauce they were divine.

I really miss fish tacos, and Mexican food in general. But most of all I miss going out on Sunday morning for Huevos Rancheros with beans and rice and fresh corn tortillas. Oh, Lord, I could cry just thinking about it.

There are places here that call themselves Mexican, but the food is nothing like, in my sad experience. And what they call tacos, please. I am assured that they are in the style of the street tacos in Mexico City, but to the devil with with the chilangos, and the Federal District in general. My heart belongs to the north of Mexico.

In Tijuana there was this tourist trap restaurant called Carnitas Uruapan, with the big copper kettle out front and the mariachi and the whole routine. A big plate of carnitas and a few ice-cold Coronas and some fat mariachi wailing about "desde que me dejaste...", there was no better way to pass a Sunday afternoon. And in the days before 9/11 the border was so casual, you could just walk across with no delay. Ah, Mexico Lindo!

By sight? I don't think you can know. Usually, there is a tag in the display case indicating fresh wild caught or farm raised.

There is a bit of faith in the process.
I understand that farmed fish in general is fattier, since it's caged and doesn't get to move around so much. Kind of like us in quarantine here. Other than that, I don't know.

There are places here that call themselves Mexican, but the food is nothing like, in my sad experience. And what they call tacos, please. I am assured that they are in the style of the street tacos in Mexico City, but to the devil with with the chilangos, and the Federal District in general. My heart belongs to the north of Mexico.
It’s the same with Chinese and Indian food, fairly poor here with the odd exception.

It’s the same with Chinese and Indian food, fairly poor here with the odd exception.
That's interesting... I know there are lots of iffy Chinese restaurants around, but are the places in Chinatown poor as well? I haven't been brave enough to try Indian restaurants here yet.

And a Mexican restaurant with no corn tacos falls at the first hurdle, so that's all of them here in BA? Serving burritos is the second hurdle, that takes care of the rest. I don't care what shade you care to throw at the DF, the 2 years or so I lived there were some of the best of my life :-D

Back