Lanata Deported From Venezuela

Gringoboy

Registered
No surprise there then, especially since it's his second run-in with Venezuelan authorities. In 2012 he was held for several hours and later freed, but all his recordings were allegedly wiped.
On this occasion however, it must have felt like deja vu. A bit like turning up at your ex wife's gaff and having the door slammed in your face. I mean, you know it's going to happen, but you at least have to try.
Dramatic fodder for Sunday's PPT no doubt.
https://www.clarin.com/politica/deportaron-jorge-lanata-venezuela_0_Bk9XPhDIb.html

The worst part about it all is that Maduro intends to move forward with the constitutional assembly on Sunday to revise the constitution in spite of the fact that 7.2 million Venezuelans voted no. It's sickening...

And I agree with you, Gringoboy, it's not surprising in the least that Lanata was deported. For me, that part actually is the least upsetting of the two. Lanata is a great journalist--I'd deport him to if I were [a dictator like] Maduro, ha!

The worst part about it all is that Maduro intends to move forward with the constitutional assembly on Sunday to revise the constitution in spite of the fact that 7.2 million Venezuelans voted no. It's sickening...

And I agree with you, Gringoboy, it's not surprising in the least that Lanata was deported. For me, that part actually is the least upsetting of the two. Lanata is a great journalist--I'd deport him to if I were [a dictator like] Maduro, ha!

He was deported because he didn't apply for the proper visa. He is a trouble maker.

He was deported because he didn't apply for the proper visa. He is a trouble maker.
Not because he wanted to report on what is really going on in Venezuela then? To expose the dictatorial new measures that Maduro wishes to impose on the country ie ruling by decree?
If that's making trouble, he has my full support.

A journalist should ask for a journalist visa if going to work in Venezuela . Lanata tried to enter with a tourist visa.

Which is the source which refers to him not getting as journalist visa?

It's been widely reported that he didn't have a media visa, and that he entered on a tourist visa. In the U.S. (at least), you would get deported for this as well.

That said, no doubt they knew who he is, and what he was coming to do. Giving an objective view of the events in Venezuela certainly wasn't on his to-do list. And given how quickly the whole Argentine government mobilized to call for his release, one might wonder who Jorge Lanata is really working for....

Lanata, like so many "journalists" in Argentina, is terrible. I wouldn't refer to someone who runs smear campaigns (with no evidence) against politicians he disagrees with a "journalist". He's a political operative. The Argentine Roger Stone.

It's been widely reported that he didn't have a media visa, and that he entered on a tourist visa. In the U.S. (at least), you would get deported for this as well.

That said, no doubt they knew who he is, and what he was coming to do. Giving an objective view of the events in Venezuela certainly wasn't on his to-do list. And given how quickly the whole Argentine government mobilized to call for his release, one might wonder who Jorge Lanata is really working for....

Lanata, like so many "journalists" in Argentina, is terrible. I wouldn't refer to someone who runs smear campaigns (with no evidence) against politicians he disagrees with a "journalist". He's a political operative. The Argentine Roger Stone.

Still no source then? 'Widely reported' doesn't really cut it.
I've read all the reports in Clarin and La Nacion, and nowhere is it reported that he didn't have a journalist visa. Mind you, they must have had him on their radar as soon as he left Eze and he would never have been granted a journalist visa anyway. He must have known that and decided to sneak in, which is no mean feat for a man of his stature.
His campaign against the money laundering appears to have plenty of evidence actually. The trouble is getting the judges to get off their backsides.

His campaign against the money laundering appears to have plenty of evidence actually. The trouble is getting the judges to get off their backsides.

There is no evidence, just rumors and gossip, which for good reason aren't admissible in a court of law. For someone so anal about sources, I'd think you'd post your own.

In fact, there is more evidence to support the idea that Mauricio Macri and his family were laundering money. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/world/europe/vladimir-putin-panama-papers-american-plot.html

Back