land of the selfish - Part 2

tennis1

Registered
I'm an American form Long Beach and I spent many years in Argentina, in BA more precisely in Palermo, but I traveled through out. I'm astonished at the lack of civility of this thread, but also I find most disturbing the falacies that many of the users post here. For instance "40% of Argentinas ar of European extraction"!!! Wow, check the CIA fact book and the percentage is an overwheming 97%; another one is to say the something like 4,000,000 argentinias live abroad is just a plain lie the number is more around 500,000 check any census pages of argentinians living abroad. As for selfishness, well, what can I say I think that the US is a very selfish country and yet a very giving country and think argentina is the same. I spent 6 years there form 1997 to 2003 and went through the depresion and I saw people helping each other and assmeblies just laike the US did in the 30's. And one more thing if we are going to talk about noise or dirt or any of those things I wluld like to ask: is there anyone her from LA, NY or Chicago or Boston or some other major city? My God, under de over pass of the110 freeway just entering downton LA there's a place ccalled Skidrow and somo 25,000 souls live there in the utmost poverty. And as for the European so called good manners have some of you forgotten the English killing the Italinas in Brussels in a football game? Or the dutch beating the hell out of each other after a game between Ajax and Feyenoord? Please wkae up and smell the coffee. Argentina is no paradise yet it has so much to offer and when you talk about 1st and 3rd world what are you guys referring to? Is Pakistan or Bolivia or Poland or South Africa on an equal footing with Argentina? Please travel more, learn and then you'll understand that the 1st or 3rd world cannot be used as definition anymore. Check the HDI in UN Argentina is 34 in the world and there are only 70 countrie's of a total of 177 that have a high human development. Never, but never be so arrogant as to put down a country that at least for now is feeding you. Even if you invested money, at least the let you keep it. And I for one I would rather see that in some countries, even if chaotic at times, some form of protest is still possible, remember here in the US we just put Habeas Corpus to sleep forever. I want my rights back and I applaud a country that still have those.
Cheers!

"tennis1" said:
<snip> ... but also I find most disturbing the falacies that many of the users post here. For instance "40% of Argentinas ar of European extraction"!!! Wow, check the CIA fact book and the percentage is an overwheming 97%;
Didn't say 40% of Argentinians are of Europeane extraction; said European genes constitute 40% of the gene pool. Most Argentinians have some European blood -- it varies from 100% to less than 10%. Perhaps the 97% figure in the CIA factbook means that 97% of Argentinians have some European blood. For sure, 97% of the genes in the pool are not European.
Probably more than 500,000 Argentinians live abroad -- many of them undocumented. At the moment, official figures concerning emigration and the HDI are suspect.
Argentina isn't "feeding" foreigners; on the contrary, most foreigners are pumping money into the economy.

The point that big bad wolf was making was that Most people here deny their indian ancestry and if anyone her has been to the north of argentina they will see that the figure 97 percent european is not valid. Sure they might have a touch of european blood but the majority of their makeup is quechua aymara guarani and other indigenous groups.

"pericles" said:
The point that big bad wolf was making was that Most people here deny their indian ancestry and if anyone her has been to the north of argentina they will see that the figure 97 percent european is not valid. Sure they might have a touch of european blood but the majority of their makeup is quechua aymara guarani and other indigenous groups.
Also, many immigrants weren't European. There were some blacks, I believe, who completely got assimilated. There were also Turkish and Arab immigrants. And of course, South European immigrants often have some Arab admixture anyway: they're not pure "European." And finally, look at the constant influx of Bolivians and Paraguayans. But better than my citing all this, walk around Buenos Aires, particularly the not-so-salubrious parts, and tell me how "European" the people look.

Aparently, tennis1, they've conceded all but the "race issue".How pathetic is that?Answer: very pathetic.Kudos to you, tennis1. "Lack of civility" was the understatement of the year.

"maskow" said:
Aparently, tennis1, they've conceded all but the "race issue".How pathetic is that?Answer: very pathetic.Kudos to you, tennis1. "Lack of civility" was the understatement of the year.
Could you elaborate your answer a bit more? Who conceded what to whom? Are we reading the same thread?

"The point that big bad wolf was making was that Most people here deny their indian ancestry and if anyone her has been to the north of argentina they will see that the figure 97 percent european is not valid. Sure they might have a touch of european blood but the majority of their makeup is quechua aymara guarani and other indigenous groups. "
There goes another lie, Pericles. As we all know almost all Indians, sadly, were killed and massacre in the US and in Argentina as well, (see Julio Roca's campaign of the desert) they erased them from the face of the earth. As for the north of Argentina, yes, there you see most of the Indian population, and yet most of them, of the ones alive today come from Bolivia and Paraguay, quechua aymara guarani , all these tribes have been formed in Parguay and Bolivia and a small portion of those used to live in what is known as the triple frontier. My God, Paraguay is known as a guarani country! In Argentina you used to have Coyas, Tehuelches, Mapuches, Comechingolos, etc, all almost gone now. If anything Argentinians descend from the boats! (. It's stupid to create facts based on what you see and not statistics, is like saying that California, where I live and work, has not a huge Spanish heritage. Please read and learn and then post if not your argument has not solid base.
Cheers!!!

tennis if you know argentine history you would know that a lot of the argentine territory in the north was lost by paraguay and is now argentine territory There is a substantial guarani population in missiones province.
My question is why are people here trying to make out that they are so so european but when you look around the country the faces are not . Have any of you people been to the southern suburbs of Buenos Aires or Mendoza or Salta and many more cities where the indian component is much much higher than 3 percent as stated here by some members
The original inhabitants of argentina were indians lets not forget that

"pericles" said:
My question is why are people here trying to make out that they are so so european but when you look around the country the faces are not . Have any of you people been to the southern suburbs of Buenos Aires or Mendoza or Salta and many more cities where the indian component is much much higher than 3 percent as stated here by some members.
It seems many Argentinians live in a state of denial. If you want to make a Porteno happy, just say BsAs looks exactly like Paris. Or say Argentina is just so European. But in fact, Argentina is part of South America and partakes of its troubled history, and shares its same uncertain destiny. I concede that there's more European blood around than in other South American countries (with the possible exception of Uruguay), but this doesn't change a thing. The sooner Argentinians stop playing make-believe and trying to emulate a bygone Europe, and wake up to the new global realities, the better. But I'm sceptical that they can do so.

well said big bad wolf . Here here for Big bad Wolf for El Presidente

Back