Landlord Requiring $US, won't accept $AR

Quinn

Registered
Does anyone know the AR legality with this?

Can a landlord legally require $US and have the right to not accept $AR?

And then only permit $AR if tenant pays $4.40AR per $1US (current exchange rate is $4.20) since the $4.40 rate is what $US are on the black market?

I do know that the rationale is so that they do not have to declare any earnings, etc through this process.

My question is do I have to roll over and pay, find a new apartment, or threaten to report them to avoid having to pay more than the agreed to rent price?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

I think that a landlord can put the rent in dollars and request the amount in dollars. in my experience, you can usually buy dollars at that rate for that day and just pay in whatever the exchange rate is. I have had landlords tell me that if I pay in pesos it has to be at the rate that they would need to buy dollars. It's an inconvenience, more expensive, and a pain in the ass... but not uncommon.

did you agree to pay in dollars in your contract?

By law, all temporary rentals MUST be paid in dollars, so your landlord is well within their rights to do this.

Quinn,

Instead of complaining or threatening anyone just find a different apartment where the owner doesn't mind being paid in pesos at whatever rate you unilaterally decide. I can't understand why you would want to have a landlord you just threatened anyway. Sounds pretty stupid and ill willed to me.

And for the record, the property owner can ask for whatever he wants, it's up to you if you want to accept the terms and sign the contract.

http://infoleg.mecon.gov.ar/infolegInternet/anexos/45000-49999/46326/norma.htm

Hello
As far as I know rentals can be in dollars but it isn`t compulsory to pay in dollars as long as you pay the same amount in pesos.

I own a flat that i rent if people can`t get dollars they pay in pesos for me is as simple as that I know that when I buy dollars I have to pay a little difference but unfortunately this has to do with the good will of the owner but is not compulsory paying in dollars, in Argentina we have pesos not dollars...
good luck
Reina

and the rate should be stated in the contract at the rate set by Banco de La Nacion Argentina.
regards
Reina

What's compulsory is what's previously been agreed to and written into the contract. According to the law that is.

As you said, in the end its up to the " owner " if he is willing to accept anything else, some will and some won't. The smart and honest thing to do is " ask " the owner before you agree to anything, if they are willing to accept any other currency other than dollars. Threatening people after the fact is neither honest nor a good will gesture.

rihornos said:
Hello
As far as I know rentals can be in dollars but it isn`t compulsory to pay in dollars as long as you pay the same amount in pesos.

TheBlackHand said:
Quinn,

Instead of complaining or threatening anyone just find a different apartment where the owner doesn't mind being paid in pesos at whatever rate you unilaterally decide. I can't understand why you would want to have a landlord you just threatened anyway. Sounds pretty stupid and ill willed to me.

And for the record, the property owner can ask for whatever he wants, it's up to you if you want to accept the terms and sign the contract.

Huh? You lost me. I asked advice and listed what I see as 3 possible options: pay, leave, threat to report them since they have said that they want the process as it is so that they don't have to report any financials.

I asked the question to see what was considered normal and legal in regards to tenants rights. Lots of other people here gave excellent advice.

Update: just re-read your post, thanks.

As part of negotiations, there are always times when one party doesn't get exactly what they want. Your argument could also be applied to a tenant who agrees to a rate and offers to pay that rate in the native currency only to have the landlord say that the tenant actually has to pay more than the agreed rate because the owner does not want the currency rate for that day, but instead based on the future devaluation of the native currency. So in this case, I would be the party losing out but would not have a problem retaining there services. just like when hiring an employee, they want salary Z but I negotiate them down to salary X instead. Yet they work for happily work for me. If I have to pay them salary Z (more than I want), then I happily accept them, etc.

How is paying in dollars " rolling over " ? And what does the landlords personal tax situation have to do with you ?

Quinn said:
I asked advice and listed what I see as 3 possible options: pay, leave, threat to report them since they have said that they want the process as it is so that they don't have to report any financials.

Back