Language school without Argentinian accent?

djw said:
Was just about to select my language school here, but wondered if anyone had heard of a school that specifically taught with a "normal" spanish accent, as in the future I will probably be using my spanish more outside of argentina than within...

i think learning the language will be enough of a challenge without having to worry about the accent at this point.

it's kind of like an unemployed person worrying about which country he should live in, in order to pay the lowest income taxes...

:)

haha, I agree! If your Spanish is Basic or Intermediate, this should not get in the way, as any decent language teacher should know the difference between book and formal Spanish, and regionalisms or even porteñisms, as in local to Capital only. I think what you mean is you are worried about the variations of vocabulary from place to place. For example, in Colombia, you cancelar your bill at a restaurant and here te cobran.

Speaking of Colombia, if you want to conversational practice, there are sooo many well educated Colombians here in Capital studying graduate studies because of the high cost of education in their own country, it makes economic sense for them to get post Bachelor studies outside Colombia. You could always supplement your studies with a private tutor from somewhere else since they are often work part time jobs. What I find to be interesting about having friends from other countries from América Latina who are also immigrants here is they point out to me all the language encounters and communication snafus they have with Argentine Spanish, and it is quite funny and interesting! You could put ads seeking Colombian or non Argentine Spanish tutor on free posting sites like olx, or really in any public university graduate program bulletin board in the city.

Besides, sorry but it is proven that if you study a language after age 15, your accent will be a yanqui accent, para siempre. Join the club! : )

emilyr said:
Besides, sorry but it is proven that if you study a language after age 15, your accent will be a yanqui accent, para siempre. Join the club! : )

Perhaps I made the cut-off. I learned Spanish starting in junior high school, so I don't know how true that is. I think it might be an aptitude thing as well. I wasn't exposed to the Porteño, Argentine accent until 2008, and, well, it just stuck to me. If you're from Argentina, initially I could probably fool you. However, after a few minutes of conversation, you start to think, "Huh, he has an accent." As far as other foreigners -- especially non-native Spanish-speakers -- you'd never be able to tell.

Sadly, my Portuguese isn't as great. :(

I guess you learned to speak English in New York City. As a matter of interest, do you change the way you speak it when you visit St Louis, Detroit or Nashville?

elhombresinnombre said:
I guess you learned to speak English in New York City. As a matter of interest, do you change the way you speak it when you visit St Louis, Detroit or Nashville?

The US had a president from 1993 to 2001 who did. :D And it was very effective.

And when I call customer service, especially for airlines in the States like American Airlines and/or Southwest Airlines and I get someone with a Texas-esque accent, I put on an accent and I nearly always get excellent customer service. (It doesn't work as well when I get "Scott" in India.)

Back