Lasik recommendations?

MrsKempf

Registered
Has anyone had lasik surgery while living here? Where did you go? Any recommendations? I have private insurance that would cover this.

TIA!

I had Lasik in Belgium and I would not do it again...

katti said:
I had Lasik in Belgium and I would not do it again...

Why?

I am due in a few years. Especially when I am on an insurance which covers it. All I have heard is good results. Otherwise I may just start walking up and down the train with a blind stick asking for pesos. :D (nearly blind if not for my contacts)

RobinsonGO said:

i would only recommend it when it is really necessary (when your view is really bad). I had it done because i was 'tired' of my contacts. Operation was great, no pain, nothing negative. My sight was perfect for about 3-4 years. Then I began to have problems with flexibility. (viewing something from far and then from close and vice versa, something in the sun and then in the shade ; I can't play tennis when I am in the sun and my partner in the shade etc,...). Small things, but annoying. And I think, were these 3-4 years worth it? then i say no.
But then I didn't really need it...

I'm with Katti. I had LASIK 6 years ago from one of the top surgeons in the US and was initially very happy with the results. However, within a year, I had to start wearing reading glasses (one of the side effects of LASIK is that it speeds up the need to use reading glasses). So now I can't go anywhere without glasses, and often find myself wondering why I did it.

Having said that, if you're still determined to get it done, Dr. Zaldivar (http://www.institutozaldivar.com/) has a very good reputation. He's based in Mendoza, but also has a clinic in BA. Patients come from all over South America for his LASIK (and other) procedures.

toulouse said:
I'm with Katti. I had LASIK 6 years ago from one of the top surgeons in the US and was initially very happy with the results. However, within a year, I had to start wearing reading glasses (one of the side effects of LASIK is that it speeds up the need to use reading glasses). So now I can't go anywhere without glasses, and often find myself wondering why I did it.

Having said that, if you're still determined to get it done, Dr. Zaldivar (http://www.institutozaldivar.com/) has a very good reputation. He's based in Mendoza, but also has a clinic in BA. Patients come from all over South America for his LASIK (and other) procedures.

Thanks for the info. My eyes are horrible. My prescription is negative 5.5 and 6.0 for my contacts. I have been very interested in Lasik. Just waiting for a job to give me insurance to get it done, but if these are the results, well why trade glasses for glasses after a bunch of cash. Thanks. :(

Know 4 people here who had it done here on the OSDE 210 plan, 2 were delighted, one other with a 5.5 like yourself ended up with a wrinkle in his retina (eyeball, who knows) and had 3 further ops and 2 years of drops before his sight normalized. The other poor girl was cross eyed for 6 months..apparently this is a known side-effect. Even with free treatment on my private plan I wouldnt do it..maybe wait 10 years and go for an eye transplant.

I had my eyes done 8 years ago by Goyo Plagos. His office is on Maipu in Olivos. He is a friend of my husband's family & from what I have heard one of the best doctors. He has done everones eyes in my husbands family who needed it & no one has any problems.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Expat Life 10
A Expat Life 0
B Expat Life 0
Back