Latam Airlines - Heads-Up

In March we flew from Miami to Buenos Aires on Avianca. For 2 tickets we paid around 33,000 Pesos (2,000 dollars) less than Aerolineas or any other airline. It involved a stop of a little over an hour in Lima so the total journey was about 11 hours. The seats were fairly spacious for economy class, and had a good sized TV screen with a decent choice of entertainment. There was also a USB port for charging and using appliances. The food was pretty poor. Check-in staff, cabin crew etc. - all excellent. I would certainly use them again.

Avianca business class is definitely very good.

I have never flown Avianca economy.

---

Copa & American are probably the worst flying out of Argentina.

I really like Aerolineas Argentina and Gol for 2~3 hour short flights.

And TAM via Sao Paulo to Europe

And United or LAN Chile ( via Chile) to US.

We opted for BA to fly to the UK next month and we're hoping that the current IT systems failure won't repeat itself.

We were leaving Buenos Aires to Lima on Avian on 11 May at 6:20 PM. Flight cancelled at 6:20. Spent the night in the lounge for a 5AM flight to Lima. We were scheduled for a 4PM flight to Cusco 3 days later. Flight cancelled at 4PM. Spent the night in Lima with a 5AM flight to Cusco. The flights were fine. Don't think I fly Avianca again. Really messed up our acclimatization plans for 10,000 ft +.

Despite my suggestion above?
Yes, amazing as it seems. Besides, we can't afford to fly business, unlike you.
On the other hand, being welcomed onto the plane by friendly British staff sets the tone, like I'm already in England and that's when the holiday starts.
Another reason is that we didn't fancy the long stopover in Sao Paulo with Latam and with BA we land at around 0700 which gives the whole day ahead of us.

Flying to the US for Thxgiving with the family suing AA miles for all tickets. Ia m already dreading the nasty FA, service, etc. Latam's service, food, FA, etc is nicer, friendlier, and overall superior. I could have booked Latam with AA miles as they are both oneworld but it was my first time redeeming miles and did not want any surprises... even if that means I will fly AA and they will charge me for toilet paper, and any extra cm2 of air that I breathe. Latam is much more generous, even in economy you get 2 checked bags free, free alcohol for your meals, they are very accommodating with families, elderly,etc. They breakfast is very nice as well. I flew AA business twice, and even flying business they are mediocre. With this being said, flying is about safety and competent pilots, the reason of their existence is to take you from place to another safe, but when they are both equally good, service does matter to me.

Flying to the US for Thxgiving with the family suing AA miles for all tickets. Ia m already dreading the nasty FA, service, etc. Latam's service, food, FA, etc is nicer, friendlier, and overall superior. I could have booked Latam with AA miles as they are both oneworld but it was my first time redeeming miles and did not want any surprises... even if that means I will fly AA and they will charge me for toilet paper, and any extra cm2 of air that I breathe. Latam is much more generous, even in economy you get 2 checked bags free, free alcohol for your meals, they are very accommodating with families, elderly,etc. They breakfast is very nice as well. I flew AA business twice, and even flying business they are mediocre. With this being said, flying is about safety and competent pilots, the reason of their existence is to take you from place to another safe, but when they are both equally good, service does matter to me.

So a few points:

1. Pretty much any airline flying between here and NY now does 2 pcs of luggage for free.
If the flight is with LATAM Brasil (NOT any other LATAM - see original post), you get a super-generous 32kg allowance.
But 2 bags of 23kg/50lbs each, you get with anyone including AA.
On the other hand, AA got stingy with business a couple years ago - even in business you only get 2 bags (but of 32kg/70lbs each, as opposed to 23kg/50lbs).

2. By mediocre in business, do you refer to the seat or the service?
Some of their planes flying to BsAs are total crap (specifically, the Dallas route and one of the Miami flights).
But the new ones are supposed to be pretty good.

3. AA has a product called Main Cabin Extra, where they offer a fair bit roomier seats than regular economy. They charge a hefty fee for it, but I've heard of some knowledgeable agents (doubles down in a fit of coughing) getting it done* for substantially less.

[sup]*This, on top of the fact that with the US airlines (AA, United, Delta) a good agent will pretty much always get you at least as cheap as - or cheaper than - you'll pay online.[/sup]

4. Booking LATAM with AA miles is possible, but not as easy as some other oneworld airlines (say British/Iberia) and normally not too cheap.

Back