Latest influx of immigrants

CarverFan said:
I just saw some muslims with full hijab move in across the road. Long robes and the metal mask, does anyone know the name? Not sure where they are from but nice to see a different mix in the hood.

The "metal" mask is actually painted on leather. For very rich families, the "paint" is a coat of gold.

I have only seen them in the UAE but maybe they wear it in other countries too.

Emirates Airline started their flights to Buenos Aires (via Rio) on Jan 3rd, maybe this family is related to that business. Or just increased business activity between the two countries.

Sorry, don't remember what its called.

nicoenarg said:
The "metal" mask is actually painted on leather. For very rich families, the "paint" is a coat of gold.

I have only seen them in the UAE but maybe they wear it in other countries too.

Emirates Airline started their flights to Buenos Aires (via Rio) on Jan 3rd, maybe this family is related to that business. Or just increased business activity between the two countries.

Sorry, don't remember what its called.

Arabian burqa

CarverFan said:
Noticed a new batch of immigrants in my barrio lately. I'm a few blocks from Constitucion train station so not in the expat area. Just wondering where these people are from. Maybe Brazil? Any ideas?

No Brazilian in their right mind would migrate here with the economy there going so well.

There are many Brazilians living in BA/Argentina, you just don't know what you talk about

callmecarrie said:
Arabian burqa

A burqa or an abaya is the big black cloth (or covering) that women put on.

The face covering is usually called a niqab but the "shield" that covers a woman's face, that is what I don't recall the name of.

camberiu said:
No Brazilian in their right mind would migrate here with the economy there going so well.

Bullshit, there are many Brazilians living in BA/Argentina, especially for study reasons, cheaper cost of living or just a change of scenery.

Brazilian arrogance :D

Could they be Bolivians? Every time I go to Imigraciones the place is absolutely packed. My lawyer says they are mostly Bolivians. Of course I know that is not all that is coming in but just thought I'd offer that possibility.

arlean said:
Could they be Bolivians? Every time I go to Imigraciones the place is absolutely packed. My lawyer says they are mostly Bolivians. Of course I know that is not all that is coming in but just thought I'd offer that possibility.

Bolivians in general are not black but more Indian/indigena

You're right. I now see there are several pages of posts here--I didn't read all that. I missed that they were black. There have been some blacks around Palermo, near Alto Palermo, selling jewelry at tables outside restaurants. I asked where they are from and they speak English and are from Africa. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ones under discussion. As someone said, just ask. I do.

nicoenarg said:
A burqa or an abaya is the big black cloth (or covering) that women put on.

The face covering is usually called a niqab but the "shield" that covers a woman's face, that is what I don't recall the name of.

From what I understand (as this is not my native culture) there are different meanings of the term burqa as quoted by this website...

"The other burqa is the face mask of the Arabian peninsula and Iranian Gulf coast. The Arabian burqa masks are fabric dyed to look shiny black or gold, the latter often with eye openings so wide it is rather an ornament than a covering. The Iranian masks are of black or red fabric often with colorful stitchings."

http://www.talesoftheveils.info/dictionary/dictionary.html

and another website...
http://www.oman-tours.com/about-oma...ecture-music-arts/womensdress-overview/burqa/

Maybe you've heard it called something else?

Back