Laws About Alcohol In Buenos Aires

jamila

Registered
I was wondering if anyone knew what the laws were concerning alcohol consumption in public places. Are you allowed to walk on the street with a drink from a bar? a bottle? a can? Can you be in parks? On the bus? Are people allowed to have open containers in their cars?

Yes to all of the above...!! nobody checks, anyhow. If there are regulations the police have never enforce them,,,""

It might make sense to consider the laws here to be more like general guidelines. Certainly in the bureaucracy, two different clerks on two different days will likely as not tell you something totally the opposite with that unbending porteno conviction.Blend in and do as you see the locals doing and you will probably be fine, unless you have an unlucky moment, in which case the actual law might not make so much difference. In my personal experience the police here are friendly, helpful, and not heavy handed control freaks.

However I too would be interested to know the actual laws on this. Anybody know?

The constitution says that whatever is not forbidden is permitted. I am not sure on this, but I don't think there are any laws that exist in Argentina that control the consumption of alcohol in public places.

Do they sell beer or liquor at Football matches ? Drunk holligans would be a problem. Even sober ones......

I was quietly having a beer in a park in Palermo when a police officer came over and told me that is was prohibited.
I gestered that I could dump my beer in the grass to which he replied in Spanish " Oh no, don't do that. There is no problem for park users that are tranquilo." We then proceeded to have very pleasant conversation on my reason for being in Argentina and my thoughts on the country.

Back