Laws: Good for a laugh

Hmmm.
And if you had trouble finding an open bar after midnight on Saturday 27th June, it’s because you can’t sell alcohol in Argentina on elections day. Which of course, no anarchic Argentine would consider obeying
Tell that to the clerk at COTO who flat out refused to sell me a bottle of beer, half an hour before the ban expired, and well after all polling places closed.

Anyone who didn’t trek to their local school last month to twist the knife in the Kirchner dynasty is liable to pay a $150 fine. The kicker? The fine is in Pesos Argentinos, which haven’t existed in almost 25 years.

(One more failed currency in Argentina’s dark history of rampant inflation, the Peso Argentino only lasted for two years, from 1983-85 and was replaced by the Austral at an exchange rate of 1000:1. Not to be outdone, in 1991 the Austral was traded in for the contemporary Peso at a staggering rate of 10,000:1, meaning that the fine is literally impossible to calculate and is never enforced.)

What?

And if all these mostly useless laws have got you riled up and you feel like trying to change any or them, you’re going to have to go a lot farther than the Congreso. Since 1987, the legal capital of Argentina has actually been the city of Viedma. Located in far off Patagonia, Viedma has a population of only 50,000 and anyone who wanted to start cleaning up the ledgers would have to start there.

The hell?
Yes, there was such a thing as Proyecto Patagonia, which envisioned creating a new federal center in the Viedma region.
But the idea was abandoned in 1990.

The author of this masterpiece seems to have gotten what he knows of Argentina from a cereal box.
Or from the year 1989.

Last edited:
On secound thought, maybe this article is simply a reprint of circa 1990; that would make the references to the then-extant Austral make sense.
Idem for the Viedma project, which was never implemented but not cancelled until 1990.

You want to hear something funny, I just learned of a new law. You cant repair the sidewalk if it's broken, or mud.

We were having issues every time it rained when it rained around 27 mm or more in a few hours or so the street turns to a river.

When the street river gets a few centimeters it flows into our hallway, when it flows into our hallway, and gets a few mm higher, it flows into our house, destroying the whole lower floor. Furniture, anything on the ground.

So I walked around the neighborhood and talked with a few people, they said they raised the level of the sidewalk and entranceway to their property. I spoke with my neighbor, same thing.

I hired a guy to help me, we put down 2 bricks raising the level only a few centimeters. then made a ramp very smooth fixing the sidewalk where it was broken concrete and mud by my neighbor's house. It looked very good and we saw old people walking on the sidewalk again, where they hadnt walked in years because it was always broken, unlevel, and muddy. They even stopped me and thanked me.

What happens next?

My neighbor denounced me to public works for raising my sidewalk and fixing 2 inches on his property. They say I have to remove it! LOL

Please tell me that you only have to remove the new sidewalk 2 inches on his side of the boundary line.

Sounds like your neighbor counts on your being less of an asshole than he is.
That, or he doesn't have much to lose.

It's nice to know the planning laws are just as crazy as the UK somewhere else in the world!

did you neighbor do any reno at his place with out a permit? ...* hint
yes, he did, but I won't be like him. It's not the way to live or help others.
I thought about it, for a long time, but decided to take the high road.

Please tell me that you only have to remove the new sidewalk 2 inches on his side of the boundary line.
LOL, I wish, they want me to remove all of it, even if it floods the house. They do not care that they have an issue with the rest of the terrain being lower than the stream that flows every time it rains. They want us to remove it back to the same height.

I'm working on it, and I will do it just as fast as I can.

Back