learning spanish- cheap alternatives

laureltp

Registered
I have been wanting for a very long time now to take some Spanish lessons. I have a few grammar books that I study with and I try to practice everyday but I feel like I could really benefit from regular classes. The problem is I can't find any that I can afford.

The last place I checked out I asked them their prices and they told me only 1,000 pesos a month.:eek: I kinda thought this was insanely expensive for my budget, let's see if we give up eating and electricity.... than sure it fights right in :)

No but seriously, I have tried meeting with local Argentines who are learning English and offering to do language exchanges with them once a week. But the problem is I have had like a million different language partners since I got here. None of them stay dedicated to the meetings and quite after a few months.

I have also looked into tutors but most of them want something like 30 or 40 pesos an hour or more. I once tried a tutor that charged 30 pesos an hour but I felt like I knew more about Spanish grammar than she did. It didn't seem worth the time or money and I quit.

I feel like an idiot. I feel like my Spanish should be perfect by now but I feel restrained by the prices that the language institutions.

The question is does anybody know an economical solution for learning Spanish here? Can anyone suggest a school with reasonable prices? Do you think there is a place where I can find some English students who would actually be dedicated to a language exchange?

I figure I must not be the only one with this problem, so I hope there's somebody out there that knows something I don't and can be helpful!

The cheapest way is to become friends with the locals and force yourself to use your Spanish as much as you can. You learn by doing, not just doing things in a classroom, but in real life.

Just my 5 cents.

I do have local friends and actually live with a native Spanish speaker. But that is not my problem. When I ask why I am wrong about something they can't answer me because they are not teachers. I really think a class or two would help me figure out some of the doubts that I have.

laureltp said:
I figure I must not be the only one with this problem, so I hope there's somebody out there that knows something I don't and can be helpful!

When you find something let me know and I'll join you!

Al

Lenguas Vivas is a good option.. cheap, pay what you can, locals tell me to pay 50 pesos per month.. they have inscription exams on monday 10th May at 2pm.. it's on carlos pellegrini and close to libertador (round building on corning - a few buildings up, with yellow steps).
Classes are 2 hours twice a well, or maybe there is intensive 4 hours, twice a week..

I recommend private lessons. 30 pesos is a good price; you can get them for 25 if you take more hours. You can meet a bunch of different private tutors for a FREE interview. If you don't get what you want out of the interview, DON'T call them back. Arrange an interview with a different tutor, and keep going until you find the one that gives you what you feel is most helpful to you.

In a previous forum, someone mentioned lessons on cd by Michel Thomas. I got copies of these from my local library (alas, in Milwaukee) and have been listening to them during my evening meal. I have never found anyone who is as good as Thomas at conveying how Spanish verbs work in a concise, easy-to-follow, and memorable manner. Verbs aren't everything in Spanish but they are the backbone of the language. When you're done with his basic and advanced course, you will know how they work.

Hi, Laurel. I also think private lessons might be a good investment -- 40 pesos is really quite a reasonable price! Since you are already getting daily conversational practice (the most important part of building fluency) with your friends, it sounds like you shouldn't need to take that many lessons -- just enough to cover the specific questions you have. Maybe you could find a couple of people to join you, since group classes are usually given at a discount. In the meantime, scrap the grammar books and try to read as many authentic materials as you can -- you'll pick up more vocabulary and syntax than you realize just by seeing/reinforcing them in context.

Back