Learning Spanish + Home Services

dgonzalez

Registered
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to BA. I've been here just over a month - came with my husband who was born here (moved to US when he was 12) so speaks fluent English and Spanish and I am definitely not picking up Spanish as quick as I'd like. So much for "oh, you'll be fluent in two months - don't worry about it!"....right. I work from home so I don't really have much of a chance to interact with people in Spanish except his cousins, and they speak too fast to really pick it up. I see a few posts about tutors in the city but not out here in Pilar. Is there anyone that might be able to recommend someone in this area?

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a site where to find local people to help do things around the house, such as an Angie's List or HomeAdvisors of Argentina.

Thanks!!

Hi and welcome!

Getting to fluency takes time and it depends on a number of factors: your native language, any other language you might have studied, how much you are immersed in the other language, what kind of learning works better for you, your motivation, etc.

I was in the same situation as you when I arrived: I spoke no Spanish (i stopped at "hola, me llamo...."), I worked from home, I was with an Argentine who dealt with all the bureaucratic and chores and his family spoke like a train.
To day, after 2.5 years I am fluent but not to the point I'd like. I can deal with any daily situation pretty fluently, but don't ask me to talk about feelings because I have no vocabulary in that area. After 2 hours in a Spanish conversion I start to lose interest, it start to cost me energies to speak Spanish. I can read a book in Spanish but it has too many words I don't pick, but at least watching Netflix in Spanish is helping.

Since you are in Pilar, i gather that there are other expats there and they might be using a tutor. Personally, I am not fond of the full immersion "you will eventually pick it up" method. You need someone replying to your questions, solving your doubts, and explaining you things. Also, I think that seeing people who have gone through the same as you will help. At least on a human level. For me it was like this.

We are having a coffee chat in San Isidro tomorrow, and you are welcome to join!
http://baexpats.org/topic/36238-24th-november-2016-coffee-chat-zona-norte-san-isidro/

I've heard that it will help a lot if you and your husband speak to each other in Spanish.

T/

Italki is a good resource for Spanish teachers on skype. I find the teachers there better than local Argie teachers - full of attitude and expensive.

Hi dgonzalez,

I have been in Argentina for 3 years now, and in the Pilar area for 2. I just joined this forum last week because I am trying to get my residency going and what not. I also came to Argentina with a full time work from "home office" job from the US. And, it was a struggle for me to learn new words and have conversations with someone other than my now husband. I completely understand where you are coming from. I do have a twist to my story though. I came to Argentina from 2000-2001 (nice year right?) with an exchange program. So I was already fluent when I got here. Nonetheless, I found it hard to learn how to have adult conversations that one needs to have. Anyways, I am in Pilar. Feel free to message me privately to meet up for coffee or wine or something.

Sorry regarding the home services. The Argentine's I know only use word or mouth to refer someone. Especially if it means them coming into your home. Fo the more standard things like AC repair I recommend also going to the sellers. In the stores, they always have references for installation, repair, etc.

Zolvers is the closest equivalent. They screen people. I haven`t investigated the full range of services available. Whereabouts in Pilar are you?

dgonzalez,

I live in Pilar and several years ago when we arrived, I took Spanish classes from an Argentine woman who actually teaches English to physicians at Austral Hospital. I am still in contact with her as we (the teacher, myself and several of the folks from Austral) get together once a month for dinner and for the Docs to practice English. Send me a message if you would like her contact.

Hola dgonzalez! Welcome to Argentina! I'm a Spanish tutor with more than 15 year of experience in the field. I offer Skype lessons, so feel free to PM me if you're interested. Saludos!

Back