Learning Spanish In Buenos Aires.

hectormdelgado

Registered
Hello everyone, I'm currently living in Buenos Aires and I am looking for a Spanish school to learn some Spanish. I know some words and phrases but not enough to get through a conversation with someone and like I stated before I was wondering if any of you have experience with learning Spanish in Buenos Aires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello everyone, I'm currently living in Buenos Aires and I am looking for a Spanish school to learn some Spanish. I know some words and phrases but not enough to get through a conversation with someone and like I stated before I was wondering if any of you have experience with learning Spanish in Buenos Aires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
get a private 1-on-1 tutor.

UBA Spanish for Extranjeros courses have been highly recommended on this Forum by several students
****this location has been singled out by several students who are Forum members.

****Laboratorio de Idiomas, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras –Language Laboratory, School of Philosophy and Humanities
Address: 25 de Mayo 221- Capital Federal
Telephone: +54 (11) 4343-5981 / 1196
Web: http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/
E-mail: [email protected]

Centro Universitario de Idiomas, Facultad de Agronomía - University Language Centre,School of Agronomy
Address: Junín 222 – Autonomous City of Buenos Aires
Telephone: +54 (11) 5352-8000
Web: http://www.cui.edu.ar
E-mail: [email protected]

Centro de Lenguas Extranjeras, Facultad de Ciencias Sociales-School of Foreign Languages, School of Social Sciences
Marcelo T. de Alvear 2230, 5º piso, oficina 508- Autonomous City of Buenos Aires
Telephone: +54 (11) 5287-1532
[email protected]

UBA Spanish for Extranjeros courses have been highly recommended on this Forum by several students
From what I know, the courses they offer at the moment are all via zoom, but the group sizes are smaller due to there being less foreigners here at the moment - which can be very beneficial for individual learners in a group context.
UBA courses don't place that much focus on conversation, BUT they provide a solid, and importantly well structured, gramatical base that compliments day to day exposure to the language making progress quite fast (e.g. within 2 years people go from 0 to spontaneous and conversational) They also provide good context of Argentine specific culture and ways of speaking.
Good value for money too apparently.
Perhaps an UBA course plus a personal conversation coach + regular local language content consumption would be the fastest way to progress if time permits? At least until ones confidence in speaking is built up.

Learning Spanish in Buenos Aires is like learning English in Glasgow.

All local schools are closed and will remain so for the foreseeable future so you'd be better off doing an online course.

Edx.org and Coursera.org have free beginner-level Spanish classes from major universities that are self-paced and completely online. If you want to spend some money, try the Instituto Cervantes online AVE global: https://ave.cervantes.es/en.

Learning Spanish in Buenos Aires is like learning English in Glasgow.

All local schools are closed and will remain so for the foreseeable future so you'd be better off doing an online course.
Edx.org and Coursera.org have free beginner-level Spanish classes from major universities that are self-paced and completely online. If you want to spend some money, try the Instituto Cervantes online AVE global: https://ave.cervantes.es/en.

Surely it’s more like learning English in Boston or some other former colonial outpost with a reasonably different accent?

I don’t think any native Spanish speaker from the Iberian peninsular would have any problem understanding rioplatense barring a frw Lunfardo.

As us native speakers from the motherland have no trouble understanding any English accents from the colonies.

The hardest accents to understand for me are in Spain.

As the hardest English accents to understand are in the UK?

Thank you.
I am taking Spanish in the Argentine University System, "Spanish para Extranjeros",
I am very happy with it - 1.5 hours, 2 days a week on line with a lot of homework in between.
I took the intro level last semester and now am on level 1, I always feel behind but my Spanish is improving.
Good Luck

get a private 1-on-1 tutor.
Can anyone recommend a good place to look for private in-person lessons? The formal schools probably work very well, but looking for something more one-on-one and priced a little more cheaply. I know one member here offers lessons (@lis2007_hotmail_com)
Is there a craigslist / kijiji / classified where people might be offering services?

Back