Learning Spanish in South America

May be I am out of touch with current situation, but paying 15 dollars for a meal in McDonalds in US seems to be a bit of an overstatement. My understanding is that fast food prices are about 1:1. (You pay 4 bucks in US, 12 pesos here). Some prices are lower because of local specifics (beef, public transportation, health insurance etc), but in general they are comparable with prices in the States, assuming you don't live in Manhatten.

"igor" said:
May be I am out of touch with current situation, but paying 15 dollars for a meal in McDonalds in US seems to be a bit of an overstatement. My understanding is that fast food prices are about 1:1. (You pay 4 bucks in US, 12 pesos here). Some prices are lower because of local specifics (beef, public transportation, health insurance etc), but in general they are comparable with prices in the States, assuming you don't live in Manhatten.
Heheh, I guess the McDonalds meal was not the best example :p Sorry! I must be one of those weird ones who never visit a McDonalds or Bk while in the US!
V

Ah... interesting perspective. Every time I've been in Bs As, I've been on vacation so obviously a different standard of spending. The 1:1 rato is interesting & one I experienced while I there. Dinner for 2 at an average restaurant (app, 2 entrees, bottle of wine) was about 90 pesos & I would expect to pay the same in dollars here in NYC. Obviously for me with the exchange rate, it's a bargain at only costing $30 with the conversion in my favor.
I guess that begs the ?s though - does the 1:1 ratio hold for salaries as well?

Back