Learning Spanish - Online Resources And Uba

Girino

Registered
Hello,

I will be moving to BsAs in a month and I'd like to start learning Spanish as soon as possible. Once I read that most of a new language you get is in the first three months in a new country, so I'd like to get it straight right from the beginning (I am not that good at catching spoken words, anyway).

I already checked UBA's page about Spanish course for foreigner, however I can't understand if you can join the course anytime through the year or if it goes from February onward, only. I can't wait next February to start going school, obviously.
I already took the written online text, but then they asked to attend an in-person evaluation of my spoken skills on last February, and I was still abroad back then.

Besides, it would be nice to have some online resources to rely on in case I can't attend UBA (we still have to look for a home, and it could be too far from UBA, anyway).

I am native in Italian but I would like to get to a fluent level and not just at a "I can make myself understood" one. My aim is to be able to speak and write at a professional level as I hope to add Spanish to my professional skills.
Any insight is much appreciated!

Use the search button in the forum and you'll find lots of recommendations.

Hi,

I have tried "online resources", "language" and there are TONS of threads where these words are used in a single post on completely different subjects.
Unless you are telling me that I can perform refined search with multiple keywords.

I am so overwhelmed with your helpfulness. You even took time to reply a second time with the sole purpose of being nasty.
Really, I can't wait to have more people like you in my life. Such enriching, caring and providing inspiration to others in everyday of their life.
I hope you are very proud of yourself and continue to set the example to others.

I tried out the search, not very useful.
Here are a couple I found with google. Can't vouch for em but I plan to use one or more of these to start.
https://www.duolingo.com/
https://app.fluencia.com/

Like many of us have said before on this site (and this question has been posted so many times that I know there are an overwhelming number of suggestions), the best strategy to learn Spanish in BA is often a private tutor. Those schools are usually expensive and a waste of time. I've written before about how Adriana Crom is an awesome teacher, and if you do a search on this site you can read many posts about her!
Best of luck...

Before arriving, do what you can online. I recommend Duolingo to get some grammar and vocab. For listening, and a bit of speaking, specific to Argentina, I recommend BuenoEntonces.com, it's around $50 and worth it. If you want more, Verbling is not bad.

I took one UBA course of Español para extranjeros (level 4) and it was pretty good, especially for the price (which is in pesos, not dollars). I'm 99% sure you do not have to wait until February to start at UBA. The next courses start in mid-May. Here is the UBA schedule: http://www.idiomas.f.../webfm_send/158

I used StudySpanish.com for their free modules. It teaches neutral Spanish but I found it useful to work through the modules and exercises. Then for Argentine Spanish there's the Bueno, entonces... video series. Good but will cost at least $50 in iPad/iPhone format. Then you have free intensive courses (but only in July otherwise 1x/week I think) at International House Belgrano.. even if you study online you need a place to go where you can practice speaking and ask questions to a live person. Private tutors are good but depends on who you get, same with classes. I didn't like duolingo.com, they used a LOT of words I have never heard of and that are not used nor recognized here. Good luck!

Back