Learning Spanish - Online Resources And Uba

Just getting enough of a language to do daily tasks like shopping and eating is always a challenge.
When I visited BA some months ago I needed some bandaids .. I looked up the words and trotted off to a pharmacy - guy had no clue what I was asking for, finally I just said 'band-aid' - worked just fine. !
This is something I have run into all around the world, dictionaries/classes only go so far.
Consider wanting a 'fizzy sweet drink' in various parts of the English speaking US? Soda? Pop? Coke? (heck I don't even know all the local words)

Consider wanting a 'fizzy sweet drink' in various parts of the English speaking US? Soda? Pop? Coke? (heck I don't even know all the local words)
I'm pretty sure those will all get you a 'fizzy sweet drink' in every part of the US.

I have used 121spanish.com for about a year, and love them. There are based in Buenos Aires, and teach via Skype, eliminating travel and wait time, and they are very reasonable, imo…

I know of three people using a lady named Martha --- if you are interested i could have her contact you -- thus provide me details and I will do it for you.

In terms of searching on this system - it does take some effort as there are many postings -- while you might have felt one person's reply was out of place - he indicated this website has so many posts and some without order as we all start posts as conversations - some follow along from years past but others are started anew here and there too. As in life - to really get what we really want takes hard work - yet in the end you will be far happier with yourself as you did it.

Enjoy your stay in this wonderful city.

Thank you all of you who posted a replied or took the time to PM me.
I will get to practice Castellano in my everyday life - I will be staying at my Argentine bf father's home for the first month, and they speak just Spanish.
On another account, my bf is perfectly bilingual. However we keep shifting to Italian because we both speak that to a native level.

I believe that Spanish, just like Italian, requires a heavy grammar study if you want to speak and write it correctly. Getting on with daily tasks is not enough for me. I want to 'live' in Spanish, read in Spanish, laugh in Spanish. It does take time and effort, I know. It took me years to get to that level with English, but I wasn't living in an English-speaking country.

What I am looking for is a full boost, I believe it will help me feeling at ease in Argentina sooner. And it is pointless to fight this new language while in Argentina, so... let's embrace it!

Anybody can recommend a bookshop in CABA where to buy a course?

I have been everywhere in Olivos/San Isidro and they all have grammar books for native speaker, but not the basic self-teaching courses.

I'm not sure about a book, but the next UBA courses are doing registration this week: http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/content/calendario-academico
They have classes at the Palermo site and the Microcentro site. You can start by showing up during the times shown on that page and taking the placement test.

They have classes at the Palermo site and the Microcentro site.

They are both quite far from where I am now, Google Maps gives me a 25 mins ride by car, so I guess that by public transport it should be almost a hour. Where I can find info on public transport schedules?

For within the city limits if you want to know how to get from point A to point B then you can use: mapa.buenosaires.gob.com It gives you information on buses and subte that you can take to get to where you want to go (first Spanish lesson: Desde means From, Hasta means To....go nuts).

Back