Legal Name Change In Argentina

Girino

Registered
Has anybody info on changing one own's last name?
My Austrian surname was brutally "latinized" some 100+ years ago, and from time to time I have wondered if I can revert it. I have no papers showing my original surname, though, which was shared from generations "by words of mouth", only.

I read about an Argentinian law that allow to "castellanize" name and surname if they are too distant from Spanish, but this is a different question.

One can Change Name not Last Name/Apellido if you apply for Gender Change :D

Serafino would be OK?

Move to a country that lets you change your name, change it, gain citizenship of said country, give up Argentine citizenship, move back to Argentina, gain citizenship with new name, win? :lol:

yeah apellidos you can't get rid of easily, even if you marry as a woman you get the option of appending the possessive "de" + male's name to your own (and I don't even think you can do this officially, I think it's just socially) but you have to retain your own last name.

the only way a name gets "changed" is if it gets dropped completely when you have a child, if you're married you can choose if you want your child to have just the father's apellido or the father's and mother's apellidos. Mother's apellido only is not an option UNLESS you are unmarried at the time of the birth, which is a bit of BS if you ask me.

The new civil code changes some of the name issues, but doesn't help this case.

http://www.clarin.com/politica/Codigo_Civil-proyecto-adelantar-vigencia-Anibal_Fernandez_0_1250875199.html

Apellidos. Los hijos podrán llevar como apellido tanto el de su madre como el de su padre. Si los progenitores no se ponen de acuerdo, el asunto se dirime por sorteo en el Registro Civil. Los padres podrán decidir si sus hijos llevarán como segundo apellido el de uno de ellos. También el interesado, con edad suficiente, podrá solicitar que se sume a su nombre el segundo apellido.

It looks like I will have to keep my now Slavic-sounding surname. Thanks to you all for the info.

Even if you could, it might be messy.... between the DNI, the marriage certificate, your Italian passport, your US residency, etc etc it would be a pain to change it all.

I actually toyed with the idea of changing my name to my mother's maiden name because it's Spanish, more easily written/pronounceable and I like it better than my German last name, but because of all the paperwork I think it would be more of a headache than it's worth.

Despite being married for a couple years now, I still don't grasp how to use the "de ____" last name and have never used it.

Be ready to for a prolonged interrogation at immigration of certain countries, if you have changed your name

Back