Let's help our neighbours

james p

Registered
Many on this blog are from Pallermo, Barrio Norte etc, but I have a feeling that many are from Congresso, Balvanera, San Cristobal as well. So many times bloggers mention shops, businesses etc located in northern areas but seldom in the areas off the BEATEN TRACK.....Who is living south of Rivadavia around Entre Rios. Many times while walking I find great deals on many things and find many businesses that are very helpful. What if we posted great deals we see so others may enjoy the benifits....often I find carrots cut or misshaped for 1.50 a bag(about 2 kg......that is when I make carrot cake. Did you know that Coto on San Juan and Rincon often has Molbo brand leche for 2.50 el litro and it is by far the creamiest milk I have had here.....That is less than half the price that most pay for milk.....I always buy my sugar at 2.50 el kg.(limit is 2 kg,but it is only 4 blocks away from my house so I stock up) We can all save quite a bit! Maybe a occasional trip to Mataderos and buy meats wholesale and divy it up? So what so you say South Siders? I live by Entre Rios and Independencia.

Hey Neighbor!

I buy most of my cheese and deli meats from a fiambreria on the corner of chile and entre rios. They have the best salami I've ever had in my life, anywhere, hands down! Its called Longaniza Casera and its amazing. Also cheapest imported italian prosciutto (and its good) at 180/kg.

Pescaderia at entre rios just south of mexico has patagonian trout flown in 2x a week during the season, ask for the schedule.

Of course, best japanese restaurant in the whole city is on pasco between chile and independencia.

coto has milk today molbo at 2.50. also harina Cassarita000 at 1.99 kg. they also have often cornalitos(fresh anchovies) at 9.99 kg.....pack them in in salt and you have great anchovies.......the same that you pay 20 for a tiny jar. Anybody know where I can buy fresh horseradish root....I am hoping that Passover comming up will bring me some luck! Also this year I have not seen any fresh olives ANYWHERE! I always make 20 lts but I am out! they take 6 months to cure....Lots of backscratchin to do!

Hello, I live in Congreso, right in front of the plaza on Yrigoyen. Would be nice to meet up sometime and exchange tips. Cheers.

Hey david, if you ever want to grab some Peruvian food I'm always up for an excuse to hit up Status (Alsina y cevellos)

La Cabrera has 50% off menu prices on Tuesdays between 7 and 8pm, cheaper than you can cook it yourself.

Philip, thank you for your reply, but the reason of my posting this thread is to help neighbours fight the high inflation . I am not quite sure that the price of imported procutto at 180 pesos el kilo is in the same theme as buying milk for your kids at 2.50 el litro. I would love to hear from neighbours that can come up with places that have good prices on things that are everyday needs. or example.... Ala dishsoap....in el supermarcados es 4.50. on Entre Rios, between Venezuela and Chile there are 2 parfumerias (on the west side facing Enter Rios) that sell it for 3.99.....It doesn't sound like much but it DOES add up at the end of the month. So when you are walking down the street just stop in and buy a couple of bottles........I think this is how Argentina has gotten itself into this mess.....OH I DON'T WANT TO BOTHER CHECKING PRICES, I WILL PAY ANYTHING AS LONG AS I AM NOT INCONVIENCED!!!!!!!And then BOOM,,,,,,,they will pay 4,50! LET'S TRY 5.00 pesos...........and so on and so on! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

james p said:
Philip, thank you for your reply, but the reason of my posting this thread is to help neighbours fight the high inflation . I am not quite sure that the price of imported procutto at 180 pesos el kilo is in the same theme as buying milk for your kids at 2.50 el litro. I would love to hear from neighbours that can come up with places that have good prices on things that are everyday needs. or example.... Ala dishsoap....in el supermarcados es 4.50. on Entre Rios, between Venezuela and Chile there are 2 parfumerias (on the west side facing Enter Rios) that sell it for 3.99.....It doesn't sound like much but it DOES add up at the end of the month. So when you are walking down the street just stop in and buy a couple of bottles........I think this is how Argentina has gotten itself into this mess.....OH I DON'T WANT TO BOTHER CHECKING PRICES, I WILL PAY ANYTHING AS LONG AS I AM NOT INCONVIENCED!!!!!!!And then BOOM,,,,,,,they will pay 4,50! LET'S TRY 5.00 pesos...........and so on and so on! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Imported prosciutto is normally between 250 to 400 pesos kg in other barrios. I thought it was quite the find....

Anyway I misconstrued the point of your thread, I thought you were trying to put something together for those of us who are a little isolated from the goods and services usually available in the more traditional expat barrios of palermo recoleta etc. I was just throwing out my suggestions for surviving life south of rivadavia, I've been here for 2.5 years now.

Back