Letting Your Kids Starve

Ries - my question wasn't intended to denigrate the shoes or Argentine manufacturing, I was genuinely curious. We help our clients buy tack here (saddles, bridles, etc) and generally it *is* good quality and well made. The problem we saw was when companies started manufacturing in quantity, there simply wasn't the QC in place and a lot slipped through the cracks in terms of things not being done correctly. I was curious if that was an issue with shoes.

FWIW, we have all custom made furniture pretty much in our living room and I love it and it's definitely well-made and will last.

I met a guy recently, an industrial designer, who makes cookware- he is actually doing pretty well, exporting in 25kg DHL boxes, but, of course, would do much better if he could utilize normal export channels.
His products are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of brands like Le Creuset, just as nice, and people want them. He ships to Europe and North America weekly.

Can you share his details, would be interested to know more.

I met a guy recently, an industrial designer, who makes cookware- he is actually doing pretty well, exporting in 25kg DHL boxes, but, of course, would do much better if he could utilize normal export channels.
His products are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of brands like Le Creuset, just as nice, and people want them. He ships to Europe and North America weekly.

Can you share his details, would be interested to know more.

Ries - my question wasn't intended to denigrate the shoes or Argentine manufacturing, I was genuinely curious. We help our clients buy tack here (saddles, bridles, etc) and generally it *is* good quality and well made. The problem we saw was when companies started manufacturing in quantity, there simply wasn't the QC in place and a lot slipped through the cracks in terms of things not being done correctly. I was curious if that was an issue with shoes.

FWIW, we have all custom made furniture pretty much in our living room and I love it and it's definitely well-made and will last.

Obviously, there are all kinds of companies here. Some make lower quality, some higher.
I know people who act as middlemen for designers, who facilitate the manufacture of clothing or shoes- and when you employ somebody like that, they make sure the contractors are making the quality you expect.
So if you wanted to buy something for export in a field that you are not expert in, and you dont live here, you would want to have a person like that helping you.
These middlemen (mostly women, of course) are most common in the clothing industry, because subcontracting to sewing houses, or individual knitters or weavers is quite common.
I am sure they exist as well in shoes.
I know a few people who design their own shoes, and who then subcontract certain parts- soles sewn to tops, or grommets, for instance.
It would depend on volume, and how much you paid, but I am sure you can find designers who would moonlight managing production- they usually have to work day jobs anyway.
They could also be found for most other industrial and manufacturing processes- there is no shortage of smart, skilled young argentines who are underemployed in their fields.

But my main focus was on designers who are already creating shoes, clothing, furniture, housewares, and similar items here- they have already worked out who to subcontract with to get quality work, they already have worked out all the details, but they cannot, for a reasonable price, export.

Lots and lots of these people already exist, and are making things. But they are restricted to the Argentine market, and, to a lesser degree, Mercosur countries.
I have a couple of friends who make furniture- really interesting street furniture. And they do, indeed, get commissions within argentina, and in uruguay and brazil- but the cost of getting stuff to NYC or London is just insane. They get requests from those places, but when they quote the shipping/export taxes/fees to send things there, it usually scuttles the deal.

This stuff-
http://www.clarin.com/ciudades/Sillones-diseno-renovar-Diagonal-Norte_0_973702705.html

Ries:
Some of the people above who need investment might take a look at [email protected]
Endeavor will again have an open house this year on June 22 .

the problem isnt so much investment- although investment would be good - but, instead, the friction costs of the current argentine system.
A pair of small run, designer shoes, in Buenos Aires, can cost $100 wholesale and $200 retail.
If you could wholesale them, landed in NYC, for $150, they would make sense.
But if they cost $250, landed, and then the NYC retailer doubles the price, you are now in Jimmy Choo territory, and it no longer makes sense.

There is a manufacturer of belt sanders, for the metalworking industry, up in Santa Fe- price in Argentina, for top of the line with all the bells an whistles, about a thousand dollars US.
Price, landed in the USA, $2500. At which point, there are plenty of US made competitors.
If they could get it up there for $1250, they could sell a lot of them.

Currently, both the Chinese and US governments basically subsidize shipping from Shanghai to Seattle or LA, so I can get a similar sander shipped, duty and tax free, on ebay, from China, to the USA, for maybe fifty bucks. Versus five hundred to a thousand dollars frictional costs from Argentina.

The difference is- the Chinese government encourages exports, and does a lot to make them easy.
They reap huge benefits in terms of jobs, profits, foreign exchange, and increased standard of living and technology in China.

All the investors in the world wont help how pathetic the Argentine government is about this stuff. "ONLY" 30% export tax on soybeans right now.

Hmmm in the 60s I knew hunger I knew what it was to wear to my father clothes from when he was my age I knew poverty. We ate from a garden canned and more. Most cannot do such things these days. Gardens, fishing, hunting and traps fine ways to survive with a loving family. Napping in grandmothers bosom. It was divine and so was she.

Ries.
Nonetheless,I would take a look at the 6 speakers and workshops that there will be this year. One is Marcos Peña and another is Mariano Mayer Secretario de PyME de la Nacion.You and or others can bring up these complaints in smaller meetings held afterwards and maybe get some useful answers.I would think it would be fairly helpful.
I go every year. As the Argentines say,
"Peor es nada".

Back