Level of spanish needed to survive BA

So far I have really enjoyed reading everyone's input on different topics. On the subject of accommodation I hope to negotiate this as part of my work package but would be interested in hearing what people think about San Telmo? I love being immersed in culture & am not looking to go somewhere & not soak up the place. If I decide to stay on after 6 months I wouldn't mind looking at share accomm in this area what are peoples thoughts about this?

San Telmo is 50% bohemian, 50% tourist trap. Guess what category you'll fit in?

Providing you make a few contacts beforehand, I suggest you go somewhere else and go native. Most people will be nicer to you than if you're immersed in a typically touristic environment.

Met another board member almost two years ago, He had been here many times before but on his last trip he stayed at home and strayed completely off the gringo path. I believe he's more determined than before to become a resident.

Nadiene Oz said:
So far I have really enjoyed reading everyone's input on different topics. On the subject of accommodation I hope to negotiate this as part of my work package but would be interested in hearing what people think about San Telmo? I love being immersed in culture & am not looking to go somewhere & not soak up the place. If I decide to stay on after 6 months I wouldn't mind looking at share accomm in this area what are peoples thoughts about this?

You will get a wide range of opinions here on various areas and it will be difficult to choose somewhere that would suit you based on that.
The thing is, there is often a lot of difference street to street let alone suburb to suburb...

I could suggest areas and provide you with my opinion on where to live, but instead I am going to suggest something from a different perspective.

If possible, get some accommodation anywhere for the first cpl of weeks (maybe something central in Capital, ie either in San Telmo, Microcentro, Recoleta/Barrio Norte, Palermo or Belgrano) and then visit the different barrios and get a feel for the areas which would suit you. Then, pick something longer term. I was transferred here with work and we didnt settle until after a month at which we stayed in both Recoleta & Barrio Norte. I am so glad we did it that way.

There is more to just those areas I mentioned above, those that are more central to the centre of Capital and generally where expats settle. For example, Almagro, Villa Crespo, Nuñez remain relatively central but perhaps are not as touristy (yet). Anyway, like I said, try before you buy.

:cool:
Nadiene Oz said:
Ok can anyone tell me about the money situation & how to avoid getting counterfit notes passed onto you in your daily transactions?
Always try carry as more change as you can, get it from the bank. Go online to see the difference from fake to real bills. If unsure request another bill for change.
When you get inmerse in a cultur with a different language the learning process is faster, now those unfamiliar sounds have a REAL meaning! are not boring anymore! Carry a translator or dictionary, find the words, and memorize it again in 5 minutes, they say the brain clears irelevant stuff in that time...find out by yourself.

so tell me where would someone start looking for share accommodation? Is there any recommended sites or is it just of word of mouth?

Back