Life in Hurlingham

prettejohn

Registered
Hi BA Expats!

We're planning on coming to Argentina at the start of 2013 from the UK and will be based in Hurlingham. We'll have a two and four year old when we arrive and are really excited about this opportunity to bring them up bilingual. Is there anyone living in the area who can give us advice about what sort of activities there are for children?

We're looking at joining the Hurlingham Club and hoped there would be facilities for young children but there website doesn't show a lot. Anyone members?

Muchas gracias!

Prettejohn

The type of clubs the typical expat here are interested in run much more to night clubs than exclusive polo clubs. You'll probably find more people interested in what you are at places like Lincoln School and through your company if you're being transferred here.

Ok. I think the Hurlingham Club has more than just Polo! Not sure I'll be going to night clubs with the kids!

Also noted that I should say 'their' not 'there' Argh..

Average age of people who spend time at The Hurlingham Club is probably about 60. Those people love to have little kids running around.

I would do due diligence about living in Hurlingham. You might be about 30-40 years late.

But if you follow through, know that the club hosts the 2nd most important polo tournament of the year, they have grass tennis courts, and they host some cricket matches here and there through the year. (often featuring expats having a day o' cricket)

I have spent alot of time in hurlingham, and often go to the club, usually on a sunday afternoon for afternoon tea with friends from hurlingham, and after go for a walk around the park.
At that time there isnt many, if any kids around.

They do have school fairs there to raise money, and is packed with kids then.

I think if you are looking for a social environment for your kids, the club isnt the place.

I find it very stuffy, and full of posh older people, or people trying to be posh, however the club itself and the park is pretty..

hi

I have lived in bella vista for the last 7 years (5km from hurlingham)

bella vista has more children than mother teresa had !

at least 7 schools in the zone and the highly recommendable 'regatas club'

for hockey and rugby

I think minimum age for girls is 6

very sociable place and kids everywhere

obviously, not the same type of club as the hurling club and agreed, rather posh or new rich posh wannabes

regarding other activities for children in hurlingham, I will need to ask some friends

however, most with young children have left hurlingham and are now based in bella vista

if you want, i could prepare a list of things to do for young kids in bella vista

i know that my kids are having a wonderful and incredibly sociable childhood in bella vista between football schools, tennis and hockey lessons and even violin classes

hope this helps

Many thanks for all your feedback regarding the club. We may wait until we're over there and check out the Hurlingham scene before comitting to a membership. We'll be living in the Hurlingham area for at least 2 years. Looking forward to meeting lots of new people and for our children to have a great experience of being brought up bilingual.

I lived there back in 1999-2001 and had a great time.

Is there still a Wanderers Ex pat Football team running?

Prettejohn

prettejohn said:
Ok. I think the Hurlingham Club has more than just Polo! Not sure I'll be going to night clubs with the kids!

Also noted that I should say 'their' not 'there' Argh..

Your usage of "there" in your first post was correct. :)

prettejohn said:
Many thanks for all your feedback regarding the club. We may wait until we're over there and check out the Hurlingham scene before comitting to a membership. We'll be living in the Hurlingham area for at least 2 years. Looking forward to meeting lots of new people and for our children to have a great experience of being brought up bilingual.

I lived there back in 1999-2001 and had a great time.

Is there still a Wanderers Ex pat Football team running?

Prettejohn

You prolly didnt have kids back then but how was your experience back then?

I had a great time as a single young man for three years. Played lots of football for both expat and local teams and travelled widely throughout South America. I made a great range of friends.

Financially it was a good time as the peso was 1:1 with the dollar. Unfortunately my contract ended in December 2001 which is when it all financially fell to pieces and I ended up losing a significant amount of money. Still you can't put a value on time and the experience I had when I was there.

Returning with a young family will be a fresh challenge and I'll be interested to see how much Argentina has changed.

Back