Life Without Cold Water in BA

Margarita

Registered
I landed in Buenos Aires on August 1st of this year after more than a 10-hour flight from the US. Buenos Aires is a beautiful city. It’s called the Paris of South America. It has more than 3 million people living in a circumference of 78 square miles. There is good food and wine and the city offers a wide variety of entertainment that any tourist would be ready to delight in and enjoy.

I was encouraged to take an MBA program here; this is the reason why I temporarily live here. The apartment I rent is very well located; however, a problem started on August 31 when a neighbor complained about the humidity on his wall, which is next to my apartment. For that reason, the building manager decided to shut down the cold-water pipeline, only for the B apartments, where I live.

I addressed the problem to the property management immediately, hoping the problem would be resolved in a few days, not last more than a week. It didn't happen. That was the first week in September. It is now the third week of October.

No answer has been given. Furthermore, the management has been abusive and rude by not giving any notice or information about the situation. Weeks have gone by with no answer. I have punctually paid the rent. I have called them, emailed them and left messages. No one has taken responsibility for the situation.

What should I do? I have wondered many times and have called the Consumer Rights Office. I filed a case with and will have a mediation session with them on October 18. Meanwhile, three different plumbers have come in. Either the estimation was very expensive for the manager, or there was a lack of time and workspace or there was some other reason. I have no idea.

For days on end, all of the people in the B apartments have not had cold water. We have had to do our daily chores with hot water. I measured the water temperature and it was 45 degrees C (113 degrees F). The human body temperature is 37C, and the running water was above that. This meant I had to wash my hair in hot water or bottle it, and let it chill. To clean and empty the wc meant I had to pour the hot water in buckets.

How can I continue to live this way? In order to get cold water, I have to get two 1.25 gallon jugs every day and bring them to my apartment. After more than 45 days, how can I live in this apartment and not complain to management? Cold water is essential for living. This situation is madness! This is a pain to deal with!!!

At the balcony with the water jugs.jpg

That sounds insane.

I’m going to go ahead and ask the obvious question (I don’t see the answer in your post)...why don’t you move?

Even if the apartment is well located, it can’t be worth not having cold water nor dealing with abusive management.

not quite the same problem as you, but you should read this thread.

i think the advice to move is the best advice although if you have mediation tomorrow perhaps you could see how that goes first. in any case if something happens in your favor it is still going to take time to resolve. there are plenty of better options than dealing with assholes like that.

tell them you are not paying rent until it's fixed and see how fast they respond.

You'll want to take care of this ASAP. Summer is just around the corner and can’t imagine living through it without cold water.
The temps tend to be around 80° and 90° F all summer long. I relish taking cold showers to keep cool two and three times a day.
If I were you I’d get together with all the people living in the “B” line apt. and hire a plumber to fix the problem.
Then send the bill to the managing company. Tell them to deduct the cost of the repair from the monthly expenses.
PM me if you need a good plumber.

Your situation is rather unique ..? most apts have a Termotanque/Water heater inside the Units (gas or electric, which can be turned on/off)
Apparently you have a Central Water Heater/Boiler Unit for all B Apts?? Guess this Unit can't be shutoff ..? Doesn't solve the problem though ?

Most likely the humidity problem requires breaking an entire wall to repair a leaking pipe?

Hi people,

Thank you for your emails and advice. This situation is definitely insane, taking too many days to fix it, disrespectful administrator.

I was wondering if I could report this at the US Embassy. For sure, they will address me some lawyers, but knowing that any file would take years to be solved, I feel disappointed about it since I have to leave the country by May 2020.

Moving at this time is also a pain on the neck, since I payed the rent, installed a wi-fi line, 3-4 suitcases with clothing and printed materials....and deadlines for my MBA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi people,

Thank you for your emails and advice. This situation is definitely insane, taking too many days to fix it, disrespectful administrator.

I was wondering if I could report this at the US Embassy. For sure, they will address me some lawyers, but knowing that any file would take years to be solved, I feel disappointed about it since I have to leave the country by May 2020.

Moving at this time is also a pain on the neck, since I payed the rent, installed a wi-fi line, 3-4 suitcases with clothing and printed materials....and deadlines for my MBA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

it’s been my experience that the US Embassy doesn’t like to get involved directly with “local” issues and at most what they can do is recommend from a list of lawyers they keep on file that speak English.

I agree with the person who said you need this remedied ASAP as BsAs in the summer will be torture without being able to have cold water.

I also agree with getting together with all the B unit apartment people as surely they can’t be too content about this and taking action yourselves and then deducting your respective amounts from each of you guys’ expensas.

if you move you prob won’t get your security deposit back either.

Back