Link to CFK Harvard event.

syngirl said:
It's incredible some of the "facts" she states that can be so EASILY investigated with about 10 secs on the net -- ie not just at Georgetown but also at Harvard did she state that Argentina is the country with the most dollars in circulation after the USA (I did notice this one correction of hers, at first she had said that had the most USD, then changed to USD in circulation at Harvard speech).

Cristina, that is not correct. Considering Ecuador, Panama and a few other countries use the USD as their ONLY currency, I can already say this statement is highly doubtful.

Canada, as the USA's largest trading partner (or at least was when I grea up, I wouldn't be surprised if we've been replaced by China), accepts USD at pretty much any store throughout the country, and companies that are trading with the US do so in USD, and it's very common to hold USD accounts.

She also claimed Argentina is the ONLY place outside USA where you can get a plaza fijo in USD, actually that's also wrong, again in Canada you can invest in a USD GIC (a GIC = a plaza fijo).

Russia also has a pile of dollars in banks and under peoples mattresses.

Wander said:
What's wrong with the Afip? Why are some people so scared of the Afip?

Wander I think you are so innocent of what happens in your own country. Without wanting to rehash old horrible times, my husband and I were blackmailed, starting in 2010 and said blackmailer's sister, being an Afip director threatened us to our faces, in front of lawyers on multiple occasions that she would put the Afip onto us to make our lives misery. They had in their possession 8 years of personal bank and credit card statements for myself and my husband (which is illegal) but they could find nothing untoward. Our company accountant was threatened with having her license removed and her house was burgled and her computers and files stolen. We started receiving false Afip denuncias for missing papers at the office etc etc I could go on. I will tell you definitively that the Afip is an instrument used by this govt. to harass people. We used the law to combat our situaton and won...we were lucky. It is a shame and perversion what CFK is doing to all of the institutions of this country for which independence is key in any democracy.

Her body language spoke a thousand words for me. No, seriously.
Did anyone notice the way she screws up her nose in a rather alarmingly coquetish manner?
Which almost invites you to fall into her little trap?
The turning of her face away from the questioner, almost at the end of her reply, was as dismissive as a schoolteacher caught out for brazen cheating. It was painful to watch most of the time.
She's a passionate and accomplished speaker; of that I have no doubt.
Lamentably though, her put downs last night and her inability to answer a simple question in a few manageable syllables, were sure signs that those very questions struck like a dagger.

Gringoboy said:
Her body language spoke a thousand words for me. No, seriously.
Did anyone notice the way she screws up her nose in a rather alarmingly coquetish manner?
Which almost invites you to fall into her little trap?
The turning of her face away from the questioner, almost at the end of her reply, was as dismissive as a schoolteacher caught out for brazen cheating. It was painful to watch most of the time.
She's a passionate and accomplished speaker; of that I have no doubt.
Lamentably though, her put downs last night and her inability to answer a simple question in a few manageable syllables, were sure signs that those very questions struck like a dagger.

She doesnt breathe when she speaks..its like she takes in air via her ears or something...full marks for quantity of words per minute..back to school for classes on quality and succinctness!

Turned off the speech last night five minutes into it (more like 55 minutes, since she was 50 minutes late) when she went on her usual rant.

Just read this on Buenos Aires Herald:

The Head of State renewed her critics to the international organizations and also mentioned the "re-reelection" issue for the first time.

"A constitutional reform is not the wish of this president," Fernández de Kirchner assured when she was asked by Harvard students about the re-reelection.

"It's not about what I want, but what I can or must do," the president said regarding the chance to make a constitutional reform would allow her to run for a third consecutive election.

Besides, she reminded that the 1994 amendment of the Constitution was not boosted by "one party," but it had reached political consensus. Nevertheless, she limited her answer by saying that "it does not depend on me" and that it "is beyond my wishes."

Ignoring the most awesome English that puts Shakespeare to shame, did she really say something to the effect of what's written there?

Because it sounds an awful lot like, "It isn't that I WANT to be re-elected, its just that I must. I will do whatever is needed for the good of my people and it seems like right now I MUST be re-elected. However, its not my wish to do so. Its a huge burden on me, but what I must do for my people, painful as it might be, I must do it."

Could someone clarify that that is an accurate description of what she said or if I am way off? And provide explanation and context to both the positions?

PS: I realize I might be stretching it a bit, I am just trying to explain what I understand from BAHerald. Knowing that BAHerald's English skills are down somewhere in the gutter, it is quite possible that I missed the whole point of CFK. She could just have been simply saying, "No you fools. I would never dare change the constitution! There is no re re-election!"

Oh as for the dude who introduced CFK saying that Evita Peron was the first president.

I think the guy was poorly prepared. He didn't look like he cared much. The only time I saw him say something with conviction was when he said "inflation has reached double digits."

I know that got a lot of people excited but "double digits" doesn't automatically mean "25-30% inflation". I think he was referring to INDEC's 10.8% inflation. Which is doule digits and official. If I remember correctly, his sentence went something like, "this year, inflation has reached double digits."

The guy was just supposed to introduce CFK, not go against or challenge her government, which he did properly. I just wish he was a little more into the introduction and a little more prepared. Just because CFK is a despicable individual doesn't mean she shouldn't be given the same respect by Harvard as given to other leaders of the world.

nicoenarg said:
Oh as for the dude who introduced CFK saying that Evita Peron was the first president.

I think the guy was poorly prepared. He didn't look like he cared much. The only time I saw him say something with conviction was when he said "inflation has reached double digits."

I know that got a lot of people excited but "double digits" doesn't automatically mean "25-30% inflation". I think he was referring to INDEC's 10.8% inflation. Which is doule digits and official. If I remember correctly, his sentence went something like, "this year, inflation has reached double digits."

The guy was just supposed to introduce CFK, not go against or challenge her government, which he did properly. I just wish he was a little more into the introduction and a little more prepared. Just because CFK is a despicable individual doesn't mean she shouldn't be given the same respect by Harvard as given to other leaders of the world.

I was watching from Vancouver, Canada, and I agree, he didn't seem prepared at all. The very first thing he did was to mispronounce her name, which seemed really amateurish and showed lacked of preparation.

That said, I was pretty blown away by the fact that CFK was almost 50 minutes late to such a prestigious event. Maybe it wasn't her fault, but if it was it also seemed really unprofessional.

duanestorey said:
I was watching from Vancouver, Canada, and I agree, he didn't seem prepared at all. The very first thing he did was to mispronounce her name, which seemed really amateurish and showed lacked of preparation.

That said, I was pretty blown away by the fact that CFK was almost 50 minutes late to such a prestigious event. Maybe it wasn't her fault, but if it was it also seemed really unprofessional.

I was watching from Argentina. And I was surprised she was ONLY 50 minutes late. ;)

The Dean of La Matamza is distressed by CFK disqualifying Harverd comments about his noble Institution...!! She stated... Most Argies can't even go to LA MATANZA U. ...!!!! you go to Harvard...!!

nicoenarg said:
Turned off the speech last night five minutes into it (more like 55 minutes, since she was 50 minutes late) when she went on her usual rant.

Just read this on Buenos Aires Herald:

Ignoring the most awesome English that puts Shakespeare to shame, did she really say something to the effect of what's written there?

Because it sounds an awful lot like, "It isn't that I WANT to be re-elected, its just that I must. I will do whatever is needed for the good of my people and it seems like right now I MUST be re-elected. However, its not my wish to do so. Its a huge burden on me, but what I must do for my people, painful as it might be, I must do it."

Could someone clarify that that is an accurate description of what she said or if I am way off? And provide explanation and context to both the positions?

PS: I realize I might be stretching it a bit, I am just trying to explain what I understand from BAHerald. Knowing that BAHerald's English skills are down somewhere in the gutter, it is quite possible that I missed the whole point of CFK. She could just have been simply saying, "No you fools. I would never dare change the constitution! There is no re re-election!"

Sorry for being too lazy to rewatch the video so Im copying from Clarin (que miente no lo sabes??). No se trata de lo que yo quiero, sino de lo que puedo o debo. Es una cuestión abstracta. No depende de mi, ni siquiera de ningún partido. Las reformas no fueron hechas por un solo partido, fueron hechas por dos partidos”.

She did a perfect job of leaving it open for her to see a constitutional reform. It's not about what I want, its about what I can do or must do. It's an abstract queston. It doesnt depend upon me, nor any party. The reforms werent made by one party alone but by two parties.

Nailing herself to the cross of presidential martyrdom. If I MUST be relected to serve my poor people, fly by private jet and buy Louboutins then I will but not because I want to but because I MUST.

Back