living cost for one person in BA?

Im am currently in Australia and i am amazed how much cheaper it is to eat qualtity food in Sydney than Argentina . For example you can have a magnificient thai, vietnamese, indian , japanese meal for less than 10 us dollars for lunch in hundreds of shops . In Buenos Aires similiar foods cost close to double and the quality is much lower .

Sydney fish markets one of the world best you can eat sashimi and sushi to your hearts content for less than 20 us dollars . In Buenos Aires any average japanese restaurant with no variety of fish will set you back 40 us dollars for a decent meal. Food quality is very low currently in Argentina and prices are very high .

In any first world country it is substantially cheaper to eat far better, higher quality, ethnically diverse food than Argentina. Honestly the food on Argentina might be one of the worst aspects of this country. Argentina is superior in terms of tuition and healthcare than the US, and Buenos Aires has cheaper rents than a coastal elite city. And I personally like the people here more. But the food options here are abysmal. And the sushi here is absolute garbage, usually farm raised salmon chock full of antibiotics.

In any first world country it is substantially cheaper to eat far better, higher quality, ethnically diverse food than Argentina. Honestly the food on Argentina might be one of the worst aspects of this country. Argentina is superior in terms of tuition and healthcare than the US, and Buenos Aires has cheaper rents than a coastal elite city. And I personally like the people here more. But the food options here are abysmal. And the sushi here is absolute garbage, usually farm raised salmon chock full of antibiotics.
How about meat?

$1500 would be plenty (including rent).
I don't drink coffee and I don't like alcohol.Also less shopping and I don't watch movie.
So Numbeo said 1010 USD per month,(I don't know health insurance price,I set 200 USD)is it possible?

I prefer health care here too, in large part because doctors give you more time and there are no surprises when it comes to billing. If by tuition you mean schools, I must disagree that they are better. Public (state) schools in big cities in the US are poor but middle class / affluent suburbs usually have very good public schools and the school day is longer than just four hours as it is here. Also the best private schools in the US are far more advanced than those in Argentina.

I don't drink coffee and I don't like alcohol.Also less shopping and I don't watch movie.
So Numbeo said 1010 USD per month,(I don't know health insurance price,I set 200 USD)is it possible?

Numbeo figures may be used only as a reference, and do not include rent. ....

Figure that as a tourist you most likely will only qualify to rent a furnished temporary apt. on a 6 month contract , subject to inflationary review every 6 months. Unless you have Garantia under Notary Public, form a valid BA property owner.

Palermo Temporary furnished Studio Rentals listed in Zonaprop start form US$600 up to US$1000 per month.(30 sq.mts.aprox). May not include electric, gas, utilities.wifi, Check each add.

Health insurance if you are over 60 will run MORE than US$200 perhaps double from a major Provider, (Hospital Aleman, Britanico, Italiano..etc).

So with your rent and health insurance plan you are close to US$1K.

Numbeo figures may be used only as a reference, and do not include rent. ....

Figure that as a tourist you most likely will only qualify to rent a furnished temporary apt. on a 6 month contract , subject to inflationary review every 6 months. Unless you have Garantia under Notary Public, form a valid BA property owner.

Palermo Temporary furnished Studio Rentals listed in Zonaprop start form US$600 up to US$1000 per month.(30 sq.mts.aprox). May not include electric, gas, utilities.wifi, Check each add.

Health insurance if you are over 60 will run MORE than US$200 perhaps double from a major Provider, (Hospital Aleman, Britanico, Italiano..etc).find

So with your rent and health insurance plan you are close to US$1K.
[/QUOTEI

If over 60 years you may find it hard to be accepted by ANY health insurance company - and the price will be dramatically higher than U$S 200 a month if you are 65+ (if you are even accepted). I think even at age 60 the rates will be much more than U$S 200. By major providers I think of companies like OMINT, OSDE. Aleman and Britanico are a step below and cheaper. Not sure about Italiano.

Very true Aleman many Years ago... was like close to $US 400 for shared hospital room hospitalization (if Over 60)-

I Explored all the Options..

By LAw all Heath Providers, should accept all residents Over 60, BUT for instance at OSDE you must apply at Cabildo Headquarters? and go through a battery of tests and THEN they will quote Your Rate on an individual Basis. Pre-existing ailments may not be covered..?

OMINT just told me informally that the rate to JOIN for over 60 would be like 3 tines what seniors that joined 20 years ago pay

Conclusion: CABA public health is the option for Residents?

Very true Aleman many Years ago... was like close to $US 400 for shared hospital room hospitalization (if Over 60)-

I Explored all the Options..

By LAw all Heath Providers, should accept all residents Over 60, BUT for instance at OSDE you must apply at Cabildo Headquarters? and go through a battery of tests and THEN they will quote Your Rate on an individual Basis. Pre-existing ailments may not be covered..?

OMINT just told me informally that the rate to JOIN for over 60 would be like 3 tines what seniors that joined 20 years ago pay

Conclusion: CABA public health is the option for Residents?

That is correct about OMINT and the same for others - and keep in mind that the rate for someone in the plan for 10+ years will be very high to begin with. For those who are new and over 60, the rate will be several times higher so I'd think close to USD $1,000 a month. For someone from the UK where health care is free or from the US where there is Medicare, retiring in Argentina and paying local private health care rates makes little sense.

How about meat?

Once upon a time the meat in Argentina was outstanding as it was all grass fed up to the early 2000s . It is mostly feedlot in 2019 and it is impossible to find grass fed meat as in Argentina it is illegal to advertise the difference in meat for sale ( a completely unethical law) In Australia the quality of meat is superior as most meat is grass fed and the option to buy grass fed organic meat is available in supermarekts and restaurants .

The only places I know that have grass fed superior meat in Buenos Aires are El secreto in the four seasons and Don Julio . Now they do not advertise the fact but the managers have confirmed this to me and the difference in flavour is night and day .

The best food in South America imho is in Peru as they pride themselves on ingredients and use elaborate flavours . Lima has some of the best restaurants on the planet ,

Last edited:
I prefer health care here too, in large part because doctors give you more time and there are no surprises when it comes to billing. If by tuition you mean schools, I must disagree that they are better. Public (state) schools in big cities in the US are poor but middle class / affluent suburbs usually have very good public schools and the school day is longer than just four hours as it is here. Also the best private schools in the US are far more advanced than those in Argentina.

In terms of school, I just mean tuition to college in the US is 50k a year and a top private school k-12 is also 50k a year. Whereas college tuition in Argentina is free and an elite private school like Lincoln in BA is $30k. I have no doubt that the actual quality of a top US school is far superior to anything in Argentina. It is just a lot more expensive. Don't know much about public K-12 in the US but I'm sure if you live in Beverly Hills the free public k-12 will be fine.

Back