living cost for one person in BA?

Just fyi, my wife and I (in our 70's) checked with the German Hospital a couple of years ago and were quoted exactly $1000 USD per year for each of us. We declined.

Sorry I made a mistake. I meant closer to U$S 1,000 per MONTH in Argentina for someone entering a plan like OMINT at age 65. Sorry for the mistake. That would be a substantial outlay for a US citizen contemplating retiring in Argentina when he is already covered by Medicare in the US. Obviously U$S 1,000 a year would be cheap for a company like OMINT, even for someone decades younger. As for your quote of U$S 1,000 per year with the German Hospital, even though it is not one of the leading health plans, I think you misunderstood or were given incorrect information. First of all, anyone entering a health care plan at such an age (if accepted) will pay at least twice, more likely three times more than the normal rate. This has always been the case but under CFK a law was passed that those with 10+ years of seniority in a plan CANNOT be charged more. Only normal inflation increases can be charged. But if I am wrong about the German Hospital and they will actually insure a 70 year old at the rate of U$S 84 a month - or even double that - then I am glad to hear it. Why would you decline such a good deal?

Last edited:
$1000. a year for health insurance is $84. a month. That is incredibly cheap. My health insurance in the U.S. ,supplementary to Medicare, was $220. a month. And that did not cover vision, dental or doctor visits. Just hospitalization.
Mental blip - Should have read $1000 PER MONTH (12K/year). For the two of us, 24K USD per year was beyond reach.

Just fyi, my wife and I (in our 70's) checked with the German Hospital a couple of years ago and were quoted exactly $1000 USD per year for each of us. We declined.

yeahh.. I will go sign for the Aleman for US$84 per month... !! maybe now it's US$100.....Thanks for the tip....! (a joke)

yeahh.. I will go sign for the Aleman for US$84 per month... !! maybe now it's US$100.....Thanks for the tip....! (a joke)

I wish it were U$S 100. The problem with getting quotes for insurance for those 65+ is that the prepagos don't want to give prices for people that age. It's very hard to pin them down. What they say may not be what you will get on the bill, if they agree to enroll you,

Perhaps the Private Health System in Argentina is too costly because they provide 100 % coverage. ??

In Chile very few have in the Private health Plan have 80 % Coverage and all services require a Copago/Payment.

In the Chilean Public Health FONASA a US$30 per month minimum payment is required for one adult. In CABA is FREE..! (so to speak) Taxpayers pick up the bill..

Don't mean to start an Thread on the fallacies? of the Chilean Education/Pension/Health systems

I stand with President Piñera's statement " There is NO such a thing as Free Education or Health , Taxpayers Pay for it"
Students with no means get Loans some interest free, some at 2 % per annum , to repay in 10 years..? Payment no to exceed a % of the Income

Does it work well or not! not a matter for this thread..!

Last edited:
Perhaps the Private Health System in Argentina is too costly because they provide 100 % coverage. ??

In Chile very few have in the Private health Plan have 80 % Coverage and all services require a Copago/Payment.

In the Chilean Public Health FONASA a US$30 per month minimum payment is required for one adult. In CABA is FREE..! (so to speak) Taxpayers pick up the bill..

Don't mean to start an Thread on the fallacies? of the Chilean Education/Pension/Health systems

I stand with President Piñera's statement " There is NO such a thing as Free Education or Health , Taxpayers Pay for it"
Students with no means get Loans some interest free, some at 2 % per annum , to repay in 10 years..? Payment no to exceed a % of the Income

Does it work well or not! not a matter for this thread..!

I don't think the Argentine perpagos always pay 100%. There are limits but for normal things the monthly fee generally covers the costs. Some plans have co-pays however.

That is indeed crazy. I think about private (non-boarding schools) in LA and how a K-12 education will run you at least $500K, then you have to shell out $50K+ a year for undergrad, and then another $50K a year for grad school. I realize there are other options like charter schools, good public K-12 school districts, less expensive private catholic schools, but still, it is really expensive and stressful to raise kids in the US. And with tuition being what it is for college (outside of situations like you mention), an average student can't really go major in English or History because they will never get a job that would allow them to repay their student loans. So there is all this institutional pressure to major in a STEM/science or pre-med, become a doctor, lawyer, engineer or hedge fund analyst, etc... On the other hand, this also provides a path for hard working lower class kids to shoot for a better socio-economic class by studying hard, if that is what they want. Whereas I dont think many lower middle class people in Argentina can just study their way to a better life.

I just note that in Argentina, two of the biggest costs in the US (healthcare and college tuition) are cheap/free.

By choosing to live in a neighborhood where public schools are good, a middle class US family won't have a problem providing their children with K-12 education at no cost (beyond the property taxes they must pay whether or not they have children). U$S 50,000 private day schools are for a tiny elite. The problems occur at university level. Some students can get partial or full scholarships, some have to borrow. Some will go to cheaper state schools. In reality too many are going to universities. A lot of trades pay more than college graduates will earn but parents and high school teachers seldom encourage students to pursue a vocational career.

I don't think the Argentine perpagos always pay 100%. There are limits but for normal things the monthly fee generally covers the costs. Some plans have co-pays however.
I

Well I'm in CABA Salud Porteña Plan, I pay nothing per month, and get medications for Free.. Can't beat that.

Well I'm in CABA Salud Porteña Plan, I pay nothing per month, and get medications for Free.. Can't beat that.

Isn't living in CABA for two or three years required to enroll in this plan?

Are temporary residents eligible?

Isn't living in CABA for two or three years required to enroll in this plan?

Are temporary residents eligible?

Temporary DNI and in Tramite, are eligible.

Cobertura Porteña de Salud es el plan de atención médica personalizada, integral y gratuita para los vecinos de la Ciudad. Está dirigido a todas aquellas personas que no posean cobertura médica (ni prepaga, ni obra social), y que acrediten residencia habitual y permanente en la ciudad de Buenos Aires. Actualmente, el Plan atiende a 372.848 personas.

Back