locked inside my apartment....seriously

xohmyx said:
hi

yeah this is a stupid problem to have but its a problem none the less im actually locked insode my apartment, i have been jiggling the god damn key around in the door for about 3 hours on and off now and i cant get the effing thing open! i called the people who rented my apartment and the owman who answered the phone at the office basically said to keep trying or call a locksmith...as luck would have it there is a magnet on my fridge for a locksmith 'Cerrajeria - Alfredo' its gots the guys number and the adress is basically makes this guy my neighbour...how much do you think it will cost me to get his help?? the other problem is i only have about $200 pesos on me...:(

this is not exactly how i invisioned starting off my time in BsAs...

ok. i have been in a couple of similar BsAs jams. once stuck in an elevator for 3 hours and once locked out of my apartment. it cost me 160 on a Sunday afternoon to get the door unlocked.

are you still stuck? 5:15pm here

can you throw the key (inside an envelope so it doesn't get dented) or lower the key to someone outside you know and have them unlock the door from the outside?

if you in palermo, i can swing by and try to help with the locksmith or buzz the building encargardo. can you pm me to figure something out?

Al

Checking back to see how its going. Good news! F'ing keys. So I have found after much key copying here and other f'ing around with locks, that all keys here are created unequal.

- Check your other key copies and whether they work a differently a little, blah?
- If you are near Palermo, come to the Palermo Weekly meetup this Wed and make more contacts so the next time this happens .... ?

Here's this week's meetup invite link. Glad you got out!

http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/14952-wednesday-palermo-meetup-april-6-a.html#post108951

I'm delighted to hear that you are free however call me a cynic, but how many people have a locksmith magnet on their refrigerator door? Pizzas, empanadas, ice cream, yes but locksmiths??? Come on now: this has happened before and the property owner has done nothing to rectify the situation. Except leave a fridge magnet.

elhombresinnombre said:
I'm delighted to hear that you are free however call me a cynic, but how many people have a locksmith magnet on their refrigerator door? Pizzas, empanadas, ice cream, yes but locksmiths??? Come on now: this has happened before and the property owner has done nothing to rectify the situation. Except leave a fridge magnet.

ahahaha dont worry the cynic in me thought the exact same thing! i was thinking 'hmm this apartment was pretty cheap i bet the guy is in business with the locksmith thats how the guy makes all his ca$h!" :p

when i had a closer look at the lock its pretty banged up it looks like someone has forced the door open and the part in the door frame where the lock goes is badly dented, but still im free and i spend about 10mins locking un-locking and re-locking the door to make sure it would work over again...

and i have 2 sets of keys and looking at them closely they are kind of diffrent, so i make sure i carry the one that eventually opened the door with me :)

we had the same problem,my wife and i have keys,mine jammed .The locksmith came,freed it and told us that although you have the same keys,they are NOT identical,and one wears away the inside of the lock,meaning the other doesn,t fit coirrectly,if you get my drift.glad you,re sorted now...

The lesson all of we had learnt is:

- Have the cell phone number of the doorman.

- Have a magnet with the phone number of the locksmith of the neigbourhood.

- Have a second set of keys (working perfectly well)

- Feel free to use this blog to ask for help

Back