locked out of my canadian online banking!

expat0tree

Registered
i tried to sign onto my CIBC online banking but now it wants me to validate the account by using outdated phone numbers that i cannot change unless i log in first! i cannot call the 1800 help number because it doesn't work from argentina, sending an email isn't an option and i have no idea what to do next to regain access to my account. can anyone recommend anything at all?

see screenshot attached

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 15
Why does the 1800 not work from AR?

Call on Google voice(free) or use Skype?

Or call from a regular phone and make an international call

Try this international number that I found on their website 1-902-420-2422

Have things like you account numbers, credit card numbers and passport number ready.

1 800 numbers work from Argentina. After dialing the number, a recording comes on warning that the call is not free, then it is put through.

If and when you get on top of this, find out if there is no bank app for your phone or token for your computer to permanently validate your devices.
Unless you already have them and they're useless. In which case it'd be useful to know this for the rest of us chickens.

GL

Iz

Actually, some financial institutions, and even governmental institutions, in the US and Canada DO block foreign calls and even online usage. I found, for instance, that I could not pay my Bellingham City taxes online from Argentina. The city itself blocks out of country online transactions. Too much spam and cons, I would guess. So it is quite possible that the bank in Canada is having foreign calls to its 800 number blocked.

by skype you mean paid skype account? i don't have a single subscription to anything, not even netflix so anything paid is out of question unless i will have no choice but to go and buy me some special card for international calling. not even my phone has a monthly subcscription, i use wifi for everything. Google voice is new to me and if it's free, great. but what is the app name in the phone's google play? i typed in google voice and got many different apps that do not resemble the one i see here on the PC! thanks.

1 800 numbers work from Argentina. After dialing the number, a recording comes on warning that the call is not free, then it is put through.

no, it doesn't. like i was recommended recently one must add 00 before the number, and in my case i have no credit on my phone to make such call and even if i did, i would not have enough unless i loaded the phone with $3000 or something terribly stupid, which i'm not going to, i don't trust the connection that might drop any second and eat up my credit making me angry. the argentine system voice doesn't actually say how much credit is necessary for the 1800 number or the 1902 number. it just says no suficiente credito so go figure, i'm still looking for a free solution.

by skype you mean paid skype account? i don't have a single subscription to anything, not even netflix so anything paid is out of question unless i will have no choice but to go and buy me some special card for international calling. not even my phone has a monthly subcscription, i use wifi for everything. Google voice is new to me and if it's free, great. but what is the app name in the phone's google play? i typed in google voice and got many different apps that do not resemble the one i see here on the PC! thanks.
Get a google voice number, call the 1800 numbre (it's free), update your bank account number with the new google voice number. Done.

• Almost all Google Voice calls to the U.S. and Canada are free when you're calling from the U.S.
  • Calls to a few places in the U.S. and Canada cost 1 cent per minute (USD), or the listed rate for your local currency
  • Calls to places outside the U.S. are at listed rates

Back