Long Term Furnished Apartment Rentals?

alexandrarae

Registered
Hi! I am in the process of moving from NYC for a new job opportunity. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with finding a furnished apartment. I'm thinking of finding a furnished apartment for one year and then figuring out the next step. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

airbnb.com is a fantastic resource. There's a little of everything and I'm certain that most places will rent long term. I found when inquiring about long term that most owners that posted listings were definitely up for it, and often times offered me a lower than advertised rate. It's worth a look for sure. Good luck!

For San Telmo...go to http://www.welcomesantelmo.com/departamentos

the owner is mercedez. VERY cool person! Say you know lauren and john.

The owners name is Mercedez. Great person! Say Lauren and John recommended you! Good Luck!

http://www.welcomesantelmo.com/departamentos

We rent through ByT (bytargentina.com). Their contracts are for six months at a time, but you can sign consecutive contracts if the owner is ok with renting long-term. We just signed our 2nd contract. The website will make you think you have to pay the full six months upfront in dollars, but they will work with you on that. We pay monthly in pesos. They use a "light-blue" rate which is kind of an average of the official rate and the blue rate, so if you are getting pesos at the blue rate, you'll get a bit of a discount on your rent.

I would suggest that you rent something for a few months and then when you get here and learn the neighborhoods pick something for the remainder of ypur stay. I rented a studio in Palermo when I first arrived here. The owner was great to work with and the apartment was nice. The owner even refunded part of our rent when we asked to move out early. You can see pictures of the place here.

http://mobile.vrbo.com/412605

I rented my second apartment through www.discoverba.com. Alfredo was great to work with.

If your renting long term you can always negotiate prices! Good luck.

Most apartment owners would like long term renters, but there are several problems. One is that laws in Argentina are skewed in favor of the tennant, and eviction is difficult and takes about three years, meanwhile no rental income but you have to pay expenses. Secondly the local currency, the Argentine Peso is not very stable, so that the landlord may rent at what seemed reasonable at the time, but soon finds that he is taking a loss after paying expenses as the peso devaluates. I do not like to make a contract for more than one year at a time. Longer requires a guarantia, or a local person who can be held responsible for the rent if the tennant does not pay the rent as required.

If you are interested. I have a place in Palermo Soho that I might be able to rent you. The website is stayba.com and would be open to negotiate. Mark

Thanks for the advice. Hoping for a May 1st move date but things are still in negotiation.

Back