Long-termers, how do you deal with being homesick?

citygirl

Registered
I left the US officially at the end of '07. And while I love it here (and I do), lately I've found myself really missing my family and friends in the US and wondering if its worth it to be here. I'm missing out on seeing my nieces and nephews grow up, I'm not able to go home to see my family, my friends are far away and I can't just hop on a plane to spend a weekend with the girls, etc.

I don't have a significant other or family keeping me here, I'm here by choice. And as I've watched 90% of my friends leave over the last 2 years (almost no one i know has lasted more than 2 years), I'm starting to contemplate going back to the US. I have a nice life here, but I'll be honest, it's a lonely one.

For those of you who have been here a while (and I don't know if anyone is here alone), did you deal with this? If so, how? What did you wind up doing?

Well, I've been here for 3 years, but I'm not your typical profile so I don't think my experience will be of any help really. I've got virtually no family back 'home', although I do miss my mates at times*. And since coming here I've now got my own child, so my most important family is now here. Though even before that happened I'd already moved my entire life here, so this is now unequivocally my home.

Al

* I'm in conversation with my entire network of friends on-line (through forums and Facebook) on a daily basis - which gives my my 'mates' fix and I've been lucky enough to get one trip back home each year so far. Unlikely to happen this year though, so ask me again this time next year and I might be feeling it a bit more.

I haven’t been here as long as some others and I am leaving soon enough but when I’ve decisions to make I usually use this method:

Make a list but an entirely honest list. The reasons why you would stay here verses the reasons that you would go back.

Have the reasons you came in the first place changed with time?
Are you just down at the moment?
Would the life you go back to be the one you remember?
Would you be able to rebuild a life easier if not?
etc

Don’t be afraid either of any concept of failure, I know that might not be the case but I’m currently battling with that and have found way more support than I ever expected.

My rehearsed line is; well at least I tried, so many people sit around talking about doing something but I actually did it.

I hope things work out for you!

Katser said:
My rehearsed line is; well at least I tried, so many people sit around talking about doing something but I actually did it.

A pretty good philosophy to live by!

citygirl said:
For those of you who have been here a while (and I don't know if anyone is here alone), did you deal with this? If so, how? What did you wind up doing?

Not to be flippant but most people end up returning to their home country. About 80% of people who move overseas return home within two years.

citygirl said:
I left the US officially at the end of '07. And while I love it here (and I do), lately I've found myself really missing my family and friends in the US and wondering if its worth it to be here. I'm missing out on seeing my nieces and nephews grow up, I'm not able to go home to see my family, my friends are far away and I can't just hop on a plane to spend a weekend with the girls, etc.

I don't have a significant other or family keeping me here, I'm here by choice. And as I've watched 90% of my friends leave over the last 2 years (almost no one i know has lasted more than 2 years), I'm starting to contemplate going back to the US. I have a nice life here, but I'll be honest, it's a lonely one.

Ive lived outside the states for 11 years and at first I missed my friends and family,but when I did go home to visit I discovered everyone was still doing the exact same thing they were doing when I left,and then I remembered why I left to begin with.
I will agree on the lonely part though.Ive found the Argies to be less than welcoming in my 3 months here,and I dont forsee myself staying beyond the remainder of my 1 year lease.That being said I def will NOT be going back to the states.Still too much of the world to see and experience

citygirl said:

I feel you citygirl... I am a long termer too (only new on this board)..
I find your post so true for all the expat friends i have meet here including me.. I think when you start to feel they way you feel it is time to go home.

Lee said:
I actually feel quite at home here with my boyfriend and our dog.

Much easier when you're in a relationship though Lee.
Mine's with my son....but it's a similar sort of thing.

Yes, I think I wouldn't have any problems staying here if I was here with a partner. As I've said, for all its quirks and idiosyncrasies, I love Argentina. But living here alone, it gets challenging and I'm starting to wonder if the costs of being far from friends and family outweigh the benefits of being here.

Back