Long-termers, how do you deal with being homesick?

Try to go out and make friends in BA. I think every expat ( I have been/am again an Argentine expat, but I guess it is the same thing) has a 'low' after some 2 years of living in a new country. It may help to go back home for holidays and see that everyone has an own life there...they are not waiting for you all the time. Then you will notice that even if you lived there you wouldn't see your friends/family as often as you thought when you were abroad.
Argentines are very sociable, you just need to break into someone's friend circle. And once you have done it - sorry if I offend someone here- don't be as distant as so many from the first World are. Be socially active!

If we stay too long away from home, there's no "home" to return to - the place will have changed beyond all recognition, and we haven't been part of those changes. We don't quite fit in anymore - not completely.

If you have no local ties other than work - no boyfriend or family in BA, I'd say head straight back.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Sara

citygirl said:
Yes, I think I wouldn't have any problems staying here if I was here with a partner.

"Lonely British expat seeks lonely ex-newyoiker. Single dad, unemployed, broke, no friends, short-arse, spec-wearing, balding, bearded, own teeth (mostly) but generally going to seed. Interested in....stuff."

That should get them breaking my door down.......once I've got them inside.

:D

Eh, I can't say that I ever feel very far from family or friends because everyone is just a Skype call away and I can always read about their daily nonsense on Facebook or whatever. Maybe if I didn't have the money to just head back home whenever I wanted to I'd feel a bit more disconnected but, eh, the world just seems so small these days.

There's lots to explore in this small world, though, so if Argentina ain't doing it for you anymore, maybe it's time to check something else out. Maybe visit the family for a bit in the US and once they start to get annoying, hit the road again.

malbec said:
Argentines are very sociable, you just need to break into someone's friend circle.

Args. are sociable, but also very clannish - they have more than enough social life with their kin and with people they've known since first grade. Their lives are full, and there's not enough time/interest to integrate foreigners into their close-knit social circle. They may invite them once or twice as a novelty, but that's about it.

Reading this forum has made me realize that foreigners largely stay on the surface of Argentine society, often not even aware of the things that make life bearable and even good in this chaotic country. That's probably the reason for all the negativity I see here. I might feel the same way, had I not been lucky enough to have a clan ready to reabsorb me when I moved back to BA.

Sara

foreigners largely stay on the surface of Argentine society, often not even aware of the things that make life bearable and even good in this chaotic country. Sara[/quote]
That is far more true than you think.

SaraSara said:
...foreigners largely stay on the surface of Argentine society, often not even aware of the things that make life bearable and even good in this chaotic country...

Like what? What are those things that foreigners aren't aware of?

Back